Last hunt for 2003.

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Last hunt for 2003.

Postby Dogman » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:30 pm

Today was the last day out for my dog and me,we hunted the saltmarshes in Scarborough Maine.Good numbers of birds and still a decent number of mallards but they are now "late season smart."So we put up the dekes and jumped the creeks.Only one black duck for the day,still worth the effort though.Made the dog happy to feel the wieght of a big black duck in his jaws. :) Hope the rest of you guys have a great season,what remains of it.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaman » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:40 pm

Same here Dogman. Getting close to the end up here in NY. Went out today with my Bro and killed 2 blackies and a beautiful drake mallard. We now have a twofoot snowpack which makes for interesting creekshooting. We should have had a couple more but cleaning up a crippled blackie led to a missed sighting on an awesome flight of mallards at 20yds.....it happens...sometimes, as Mr Gump says. With only 1 week left, I am already planning my vacation time for next season. Total birds taken this season is 46 (only 1 banded mallard)...maybe we can break 50 by the end of it. Its been fun as always.
berettaman
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:58 am

Still have amonth in NH Mike!!!!! Maybe you could get a 2004 license NOW, so you'll have it for next season too (and to hunt on Sundays).

I was down on Little Bay Friday - three mallards and a Black but got a late staert - looks like the 16 footer lost the fuel pump so I had to switch boats).

Went back to the same spot on Saturday and we only had one Black commit to the dekes. More guys out than I expected, but I figured they would keep the birds moving. All high flyers. They are getting smarter all the time.

My friend was around a corner from us, three of them ended up with 11 mallards and two blacks. Most of their shooting was pass shots over the decoys - the birds were not making that final comittment for them either.

I spent yesterday in bed with a fever and severe headache so I lost a day. Looks like some warm weather this week will open up some of the ice. I am sure over the next week we will have some excellent shooting. There are lot's of birds, especially mallards, while the canadas are dropping.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:10 pm

That NH license does look better and better,the dog wouldn't mind another crack at birds either.The sunday option gets louder in my head too.Looks like I'll just have to buy one,simple as that.Sorry to hear about being down and out with the bug,hope it isn't that flu thats going around.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting