Shot Gun Loads

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Shot Gun Loads

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:34 pm

Was curious if anyone uses the "high velocity" loads and what they think?

I have been trialing the Remington high speed loads in 2, 4, and BB over this season and have not noticed a "huge" impact in my hit to kill ratio. The only benefit I have seen is in the fact that they "appear" to not force me to lead birds quite so much at extended (30-40 yrd) ranges.
duckmann
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:25 pm

Ive tried the winchester xpress in 3 shot this year and really like them.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:26 pm

I like the Winchester Xpert Hi-velocity in # 2 shot.Has worked very well for me this year.I like the 1550 fps speed on this shell,gives the shot a nice degree of authenticity when it makes contact with the bird.I have some in BB shot also that I might try on geese if I ever see any this year.But again I think the high speed shells increase its effectiveness
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:55 am

I use 2 3/4" loads about 80% of the shots I take....no need for 3 1/2" at all imo....and occaisionally shoot 3".....I really like the XPRESS loads from Winchester and 2 shot is my conmfidence load whether on the ocean for eider or in the marsh for puddlers. On geese I go up to 1's and sometimes 3" BB. Fortunately most all shots I take are close range (under 35 yards) so the killing power of the steel is effective.

I picked up a couple boxes of 3's in 3" to try this year....load is 1550 fps and will probably be very effective on mallards, blacks and buffies.

I also picked up some Hevi this year to try....so far am impressed....using 6's on ducks and 4's on canadas......but it is too expensive to use all season when I know I can get killing shots with steel.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Hevi Shot

Postby duckmann » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Group,

I have used Hevi in the past and was impressed with the performance but at $3.00 every time I pulled the trigger it started to weigh heavily on my pockets.

Has anyone found a place that sells Hevi at a more "reasonable" cost ($10-15.00 for ten shots of 12g 3" number 6)? Does anyone have any "inside information" on any after season Hevi sales that may take place? I was thinking LL Bean or maybe Walmart??

DuckMann
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:48 pm

I've never seen Hevi at WallyWorld....I got mine through Mack's.....I got five 2 3/4" boxes at $15, and then got $15 back from Remington....so I got a box 'free'.....sinc ethe Hevi throws such a dense pattern, the 1 1 /8 oz loads in 2 3/4" will clearly cover you....and the impact power (foot pounds of energy) is actually greater than lead. just my opinion based on reading multiple test results over the past year!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting