Still Raining Honkers...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Still Raining Honkers...

Postby R-Factor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:39 pm

I enjoyed a good day on my first solo morning of the season. Geese flew a little late in the AM, but when they did it was sweet! I took a triple on the first group that dropped in...followed by a double...then a pair came in and I took #6. I'm digging this early season honker action. :biggrin: First bird on the left is why I only use an IC choke for this type of fowling... :wink:

Last edited by R-Factor on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Factor
hunter

Re: Still Raining Honkers...

Postby MaineHunter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Awesome!!! Seems to be plenty of birds in your area!!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Great Job, I had the skunk saturday. They lifted off and totally blew me off and flew to the other side of the lake......Bad Calling ???? Maybe, dont know why
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 am

K.I. Joe wrote:Great Job, I had the skunk saturday. They lifted off and totally blew me off and flew to the other side of the lake......Bad Calling ???? Maybe, dont know why

KI- Were you set up in the exact field location they were feeding in the morning before? In my experience, that's usually the most important action in hedging your bets for sucking birds into the spread. Setting up in a "likely" spot that looks good near a roost sometimes will work, but often doesn't in my area. Keep after em'! :hammer:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm

R-factor funny you say that.. We set up in a field a couple years ago literally next to the field they were landing in, and the birds flew around us only to land in the field they had been in before. We figured we could atleast sucker some birds in but we were wrong!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby RustyCJ » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I've looked at that first picture like 10 times and for some reason it seems like I should know that field....I just cant place it. Congrats on the early season success! :thumbsup:
You are going to be up a river of human excrement in a native American form of aquatic travel without any means of propulsion.
RustyCJ
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I haven't had a chance to get out to early goose hunt so these pics are getting me all excited haha. Great job!
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey how do you like that Lynch Mob?
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby southernducker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm

:thumbsup: :beer: goose jerky in the smoker?!?!?
southernducker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Mainehunter- I like it a lot- and would pay the dough for it again. Not only is George Lynch a really nice guy to talk with on the phone, but he offers something that I think personally is kinda cool. He used to (and I believe still does) throw out an offer to send you half a dozen of his calls to try out when you're looking for one. You keep your favorite, and send him back the rest. Perhaps others offer this too, but I'm not sure. My particular model is the Slipknot Hybrid. I have two other buddies that both bought Lynch Mobs after they heard mine. One picked the exact same model and another picked up a Lawmaker I believe. For what it's worth, I don't care for the Lawmaker as well as the Slipknot Hybrid. Mine is not hard to run, but like all good calls does take some time.

Southernducker- I'd love to try goose jerky, but don't own a jerky maker/smoker. This is an old post- as you can see- so those birds have loooooong been consumed! I tenderize mine, cut them up into tips,roll them in Shake n' Bake, and fry. Everyone seems to love it that way. I'm actually sitting in a motel room as I type this now munching on some I just pulled out of the cooler! Good stuff.
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting