Lets Talk Guns

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Lets Talk Guns

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:42 pm

Was wondering what everyone carries a their primary weapon for waterfowling?

I personally carried an Ithaca mod. 37 featherlight 2 3/4 modified choke for years but finally uppgraded a year ago to the Franchi 612 semi auto in adv. wetland w/ improved, mod, full chokes and fires 2 3/4 as well as 3 inch loads. . . great gun BUT I guess if I was to do it over again I probably would go with the 912 as it allows firing of the 3 1/2 inch loads which would have been nice for Sept. goose hunting.
duckmann
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:34 pm

I shoot a Beretta AL391 (auto loader) in advantage camo. Shoots 23/4 and 3 inch. Love this gun, I have a dozen shotguns and this is the only gun I shoot now even for upland. looks a little out of place for upland but I just cant leave this gun in the cabinet.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:40 pm

Shortly after steel shot became standard I bought a BPS 10 gauge and used it for many years,now I use a Mossberg 500 3" and this year I was given a Ruger red label all weather O/U by the wife so it joins me on a hunts now as well.I think the 10 gauge may get retired but I do love that cannon so I'm not making any decision right away.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby twoscoots » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:10 pm

I shoot a Rem. 1100 2 3/4" gun....I have a 870 super mag(3 1/2) and a mossb. a500 (3") , but the ole' 1100 still gets the nod! I have shot alot of birds, from geese to teal. I found out that speed of the shot does better than a large wall of slow flying steel that will not cut through the thick feathers,down, and belly fat! I do not think that the other guns are not good enough or wrong for any particular job.....it's just satisfying to pull the trigger through-out the morning and not have to rub my jaw or think how much I paid for the extra' that i just shot down the tube . I will probally switch over to the 870 if I go to the marshes on the coast simply because I can drop to a larger oz load of shot and also drop 1 or 2 sizes down in pellet size to make up for the skittish' birds that pull away at the edge of the blocks'. I should have said that "I for one, do not believe that there is a "perfect" gun". I just like the lil' 1100 for most of my shooting purposes. ( and if ya think that there is no difference in the jolt' from a fast load of 2 3/4 and the God awlful slamming of the 3 1/2.....pull the triggers on both in the back yard with one foot lifted and twist at the hips, just as if you were shooting from a blind and you were caught off gaurd :eek: this is just my .02 cents so please dont be offended :thumbsup:
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:48 am

my 'go to' piece over the past five or six seasons has been a "trash gun" I bought for the salt ......and it has become a confidence gun = Maverick (only $148) and still not a speck of rust....have probably taken 300 ducks and 100 geese with that gun ans it has travelled with me to many waterfowl venues in the US and Canada

I still use an 1100 in the early season, and switch guns alot during the season, Ithaca 37 mag, Mossberg 9200, Citori on occaision (but more of a range gun)....this year I bought a Stoeger Condor Supreme and already like it alot...I wanted an OU for the duck boat/blind that I did not have to worry about like I do the Citori.....I also have quite a few other guns including a Benelli, a Berretta 20g that is so sweet to carry in the uplands, a 1927 Ranger 16 I use for pheasant and crows, a Stevens, an old Remington SxS that is pretty much a wall gun these days and of course there is the first gun I ever owned....a Mossberg 500 with a C-lect-a-choke I got at age 15 with paper route $ ($85)!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

BPS 10g

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:34 am

Dogman,

After seeing your post I had to go to the Browning web site and check out the BPS 10 gauge. Man what a beautiful gun! See, I have been wanting to get a 10g from a few years now and this looks like it may be the number one contender. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t just go out and immediately buy this CANNON?

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:01 am

The Browning BPS is an excellent gun,mine has funtioned very well for me over the last 14 years.When I first bought it steel shot was not very effective,especially when compared to todays loads.I felt that the 10 gauge helped to make up for the short comings of steel loads and it did.One draw back to the 10 is the cost of shells,a few bucks more per box and the availability is no where as varied as the 12 gauge stuff.You'll have to shop around some,online ordering is more likely to get you what your looking for in 10 gauge rounds since they are not as common as 12 gauge and most stores only have a limited selection in 10.
If you are set on a 10 gauge I would highly recommend the BPS.A good waterfowling piece and nice for turkey also.It can deliver a lot of shot to a bird and can make some clean kills as long as the shooter isn't trying to extend his range just because he's shooting a bigger bore.My desire was to increase the # of pellts in the same range,not to try and shoot further out.
I think shotguns are a lot like fishing lures,if you really like one you'll probably use it with more confidence than another.As a result you will be a better shot with it.If you want a 10 then by all means get a BPS,even if you decide to get a 12 the BPS is still a great choice.With todays non-toxic shot rounds I think the need for a 10 gauge isn't as paramount as it was,even so I'm not getting rid of mine!
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

FYI

Postby duckmann » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm

Dogman,

I just ordered the 10g BPS in Shadow Grass w/ 28 inch barrel from Kittery Trading Post and it is expected to arrive early spring. . . hoping it will be here in time for turkey season. . . IF I get a permit.

Going to make one heck of a goose gun by next Sept.!! What do you use for shot sizes when hunting with this CANNON!?!?!
duckmann
hunter

10 gauge

Postby mallardduckyy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:55 am

Hi, I'm from the Lyman Area. I have been using an old Ithica Mag 10 for years. I mostly shoot BB's thru her. It's a great gun. I use slugs during the deer season, they do a great job.
mallardduckyy
Newb

Greetings

Postby duckmann » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:46 pm

MD,

Great to have you on the list. I used an Ithica mod 37 featherlight for years and used it on everything from Partridge to Turkey and Ducks and Geese. Only fires Mod. choke and 2 3/4 but was light weight and reliable. Never used shotgun with deer (althought I have thought about it lots of times) and instead stick with the Marlin 30-30.

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby mallardduckyy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:55 pm

Nice to hear from someone. Where I hunt, it's shotgun only. I dont thick I will ever use a rifle again.Deer and Ducks dont stand a chance with that 10 gauge. Only drawback is the weight. Has anyone been getting into the Ducks?
mallardduckyy
Newb

Postby Dogman » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:24 pm

Welcome Mallardducky, :welcome: .Saw plenty of ducks yesterday but couldn't drop more than one.
When I use my ten gauge I'd fire #2's or BB shot.Had my Mossberg 500 with me yesterday.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:34 am

I have been using an Angelo Zoli Z34 over and under. It have worked really well for me so far. I mainly shoot 3 inch #2, they seam to do the job for most of my ducking. I am thinking about buying a semi that will shoot 3.5 inch but haven't narrowed it down yet. Would like to try a SBE but too pricey for me. May try a 935 or a MP153.
Fowler
hunter

Franchi

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:35 pm

Fowler,

If you are considering a new shotgun Franchi makes a semi that digests anything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 for around $900. Much cheaper than the SBE at around $1200.

It is called the 912 and is available here: http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/model912.tpl if you wnat to check it out.

I own its little brother the 612 (around $650) that fires the 2 3/4 and 3 inch loads and it is a great gun. . . its only draw back is that it can't fire the 3 1/2 inch loads.

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby Fowler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:32 pm

duckman,

Thanks for the info, I will have to check it out. Franchi has been making good firearms for awhile so it should be a shooter.
Fowler
hunter

Forgot to add

Postby duckmann » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:04 pm

Forgot to mention that Franchi and Benelli are both made by the same company. Take both apart and try and look for a difference! Both semis use the same recoil system and both can be modified with a mercury filled recoil reducing system!!
duckmann
hunter

Postby kpgunner » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:09 am

I have a case full of shot guns my grandfather left me including
a Savage 12 ga semi 40's vintage as well as a Remington sportman
12 ga semi. Both of them work fine and seldom jam. Last winter I bought
a new Charles Daily autoloader at Walmart for under $300. It has a composite stock and shot 3" shells. My friend had bought and identical gun a few months earlier and was very impressed with it. We have both put quite a few rounds thru them and his has jammed once or twice, mine has been trouble free so far. For the price I think this gun is hard to beat.
kpgunner
hunter

Postby Fowler » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:09 pm

Finally bit the bullet and bought a Browning Gold 10. I had a BPS 10 years ago and loved it for sea ducks and geese. What a cannon but it comes up and swings nice. Will try it out Thur in Cobscook and let ya know how it does.
Fowler
hunter

10 G

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:22 am

KTP just dropped me a note that the anticipated "late Spring" delivery of my new Browning BPS 10 was stepped up and was waiting for me NOW! I hope to drive down next week and have it ready to fire by the weekend of the 8th!

So, what do I need to fire out of this CANNON when I take it to the ocean? I was thinking number 6 Hevi or 2 Steel?? Am I way off?

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

BPS 10

Postby duckmann » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:27 pm

Picked my BPS 10 up from KTP yesterday and spent an exciting afternoon making big things into small things. . . man does that thing pack a punch!! I had to coat my shoulder with Ben Gay this morning just to lift my cup of coffee. . . . what a BLAST!

Can't wait to try it out on the Eiders during the last weekend of the season.

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:58 am

Duckmann,congrats on the new gun.Question,do you still have the factory butt plate on it?If so you would be much better off getting a Pacmyr(spelling?) recoil pad on it instead.Made a world of difference on my BPS 10 for recoil. :thumbsup:
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowler » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:41 pm

I have been using #2 steel in my 10 with great success. I have a patternmaster choke on it so it really does the job. The choke took some getting used too. A lot tighter pattern than I am used to slinging out there. I had planned on getting some heavier shot for late sea ducking but haven't had any problems with the 2's so far. I'm sure the choke is probably part of it.
Fowler
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting