A first for me...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

A first for me...

Postby R-Factor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:55 pm

After hittin' up the ducks the first part of today, I did a little driving around to scout. A group of Canadas numbering around 225 caught my eye in a field and I pulled over to glass them for a bit. Something stuck out and made me do a double take. One of the geese had a head that was almost all white! Black neck, and then toward the top of the neck went all white...really cool stuff. Even the bill wasn't black! I thought it might have been a blue goose version of a Snow, but looked just like a normal Canada from the neck down. I called Kelsey Sullivan and talked a bit about it...pretty neat- partially albino apparently.
Last edited by R-Factor on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Factor
hunter

Re: A first for me...

Postby MaineHunter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:01 am

Is the field huntable?
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby southernducker » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm

^^^^^^^^^What he said!!!^^^^^^^^
southernducker
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 pm

my buddy shot one last week down here. his had bright yellow feet and a speckled white head and neck. it was smaller then a normal cananda. it was a domestic/canada cross
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby southernducker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:47 am

i mounted a speck/canada cross a couple of years ago...if I can dig up some pics I'll get em up here...beautifully odd birds
southernducker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:30 pm

MaineHunter wrote:Is the field huntable?

Are you kidding me? Of course not! :lol3: Any time I see a large group of banded birds...or anything I'd particularly like to target, it's always "behind the fence". :wink: No, in actuality, this was in a "huntable" field- just too close to houses and not worth possibly ruffling feathers for. Looking back, I probably already have permission to hunt the field- would just have to set up a ways off in order not to wake folks up in the AM with shooting.
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting