Scarborough Marsh

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Scarborough Marsh

Postby bkmaine » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm interested in getting out in the Scarborough Marsh. I don't know much about it, I don't want to upset anyone who already hunts it. Can anyone help me out with information about safety, rules, etiquette, etc...?
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Re: Scarborough Marsh

Postby Maineduckhunter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Can anyone help me out with information about safety, rules, etiquette, etc...?

If you've taken your hunters safety course, this should be quite evident for you.
Safety is always #1, no matter what.
Etiquette - don't crowd others, give them at least 100 yrds buffer, more if possible. If they are working birds, and they
swing over you, to go to their decoys, don't shoot at the birds, it's called respect.
Don't skyscrape, in other words, learn to judge distance, don't shoot at birds that are beyond 40 yards or so, the closer the better. If it means you have to pass up a shot or two, then so be it. We all get excited, but it's the once that know restraint, that end up doing better.
If you don't know how to call well, then don't, let your decoys do the work for you.
As for the marsh, get out there and do some exploring around. No one is going to tell you where to go exactly, you need to get out there and poke/look around. Take a day or two, and like I said, go exploring, get a feel of the lay of the land, it's a lot different at 4:00AM. Find some likely spots, and go hunt them when you get a chance.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm

I have taken hunter safety, and I hear what your saying. I'm looking for more specific information for Scarborough locals, how do the tides effect hunting/safety, would paddling around be considered rude (I've heard that lots of people have blinds out there), etc. I would think to do exactly what you listed above on my own, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be bothering people by paddling around during hunting hours, I don't want to ruffle any feathers...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Unless you are doing something that is obviously obnoxious, you should be fine paddling around. If you see someone else set up with decoys, give them a wide berth. If you come on them suddenly on a windy creek and find yourself right in the middle of their decoys, introduce yourself, apologize, and move on.

It's a big marsh and there are ducks all over.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for clarifying yourself a bit better.

Paddling around, while hunting is going on, wouldn't be too good of an idea.
I'd be none too happy if you floated into my spread, let's say an hour after shoot
time, or anytime for that matter. Wide berth like Brookie said.

Yes, there are blinds sprinkled around out there. Some are used all of the time, some are not.
If you want to "explore" wait till later in the morning afternoon, say around lunch time. A lot of the guys
will be off the marsh, and you won't be so prone as to disturbing others, if possible do it during the
week if time permits. A pair of binoculars also helps.

Yes, be careful of the tides, they can leave you stranded for a few hours, until it swings again.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I know very little about Scarborough Marsh (other than the fact that it's very close to some of my favorite Striper fishing spots :wink:)...however...if I wanted to target ducks down there, I would explore all through that bugger on a Sunday afternoon with the kayak...just some food for thought. No hunters then to disturb or worry about...will allow you plenty of space and time to familiarize yourself with things.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 1187 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:05 am

Maineduck has really said it all and taken your questions. Plus you have till 11/19 to scout without bothering anyone...the marsh is huge so theres no reason to be anywhere near another spread. There is no magic internet button, only hard work, which may take years to really know how, where, and when to hunt, how tides, weather, timing, pressure etc affect the birds. So...watch the rushing tides if your paddling and have fun exploring one of the planets most important natural resources :thumbsup:
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 am

Good call, I forgot about the closed window.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby cjg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:32 pm

One of the best things that can happen if you have decoys out is to have someone out paddling arund keeping the ducks moving.
cjg
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 am

I've heard that hunting out of a kayak there isn't productive. I don't know as I've never done it. In my experience, it is hit or miss depending on the day more so than my other spots. Watch the weight/line length on your decoys when the tide is really coming in. I lost a couple one year when hunting in a storm. Miraculously, one was recovered the next year just about 100 meters from the blind! There is a lot of space there. Be aware of the Eastern Trail there. I saw a couple of wankers setting up right next to it one time. Its pretty well used so be respectful and just because its legal to hunt in some areas around it doesn't mean its right to hunt in those areas. There's a good number of black ducks out there so be sure to properly ID with the 1 duck limit. Hope this helps.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting