First goose, and happened to be a Snow!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

First goose, and happened to be a Snow!

Postby Flytier » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm

1025120916a.jpg

Slept in a bit longer than I wanted to this morning, but the body must have known I needed it. 21 deg. this morning when I got up, and I figured the shooting grounds may have a bit of skim ice on them, keeping the birds out of it. I said to myself, I'll take my Daughter to school and then go and see if I can track down the flock of Canadas that have been using a harvested potato field. As I reach the field, I noticed two geese in the field that just didn't look right, but thought to myself the morning shadows are playing tricks on me. Further down the field, the Canadas are there right on schedule, so I pull the car around and pull into the field road and plan a stalk. I look at the other two geese that I had seen first, and definitely know that they are different. I am 99.99999% sure they are Snows. They then fly right across the field road I am driving on, and I get a definite ID on them. I place a call to R-Factor to tell him what I am witnessing, and he sounds as excited as I feel. The geese then fly off again, and circle around and land in the flock of Canadas, just over a knoll. Good chance for an ambush. After about a fifteen minute stalk, I can see the heads of the Canadas, and start sneaking ever so slowly looking for the Snows. The Snows spook first, and God was very good to me and let them fly pretty much right at me. Picked out the lead bird, and down he goes. I had never even put down a Canada in my life, and here is a Snow lying in front of me. I am so shocked, I didn't even shoot at the second bird. Walking back to the car, the other Snow circles back around, and giving me another shot which I promptly miss. All in all, a good morning. Later, got a Beautiful drake mallard as well.
3 Drake Mallards
1 Hen Mallard
2 Hen Greenwing
2 Hen Woodies
1 Black
1 Snow
Flytier
hunter

Re: First goose, and happened to be a Snow!

Postby Flytier » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Gotta figure this pic thing out.
3 Drake Mallards
1 Hen Mallard
2 Hen Greenwing
2 Hen Woodies
1 Black
1 Snow
Flytier
hunter

Postby maineducker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:36 am

Awesome!!!! There sure have been a lot of snows around the state this year. Maybe someday we'll put that 25 bird per day limit to use! :biggrin:
maineducker
hunter

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 am

Thats awesome, I've only ever caught glimpses of snows and never had the chance to stalk them. As for pics if you import them to your computer there should be an 'edit' button for individual photos. From there you should find 'properties' and then 'resize'. Congrats on the bird and definitely get those pics on soon! :thumbsup:
Last edited by WoundedKnee14 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:27 am

The Great Goose Stalker Strikes! :hammer: :clapping: I'll get a couple pictures up here shortly for you bro.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 am

Here you go gang! I had a chance to swing by Flytier's place last night after work and get my hands on this bird- very neat indeed. Other than this one, I've only seen one Snow here in Maine. Enjoy!
R-Factor
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 am

Looks like a nice mature bird! Congrats!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 pm

That is cool, congrats on the bird, a true trophy. I have seen them on a couple of occasions, once a flock of about 20, but never while hunting
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:56 am

come on down to texas, I'll show you a couple million
BMowatt
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 pm

BMowatt wrote:come on down to texas, I'll show you a couple million

Yes, but drooling over fields that you can't hunt would drive me crazy in a matter of days.
:lol3:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Congratulations! I'd love to shoot one!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:37 pm

R-Factor wrote:
BMowatt wrote:come on down to texas, I'll show you a couple million

Yes, but drooling over fields that you can't hunt would drive me crazy in a matter of days.
:lol3:

wheres the like button
K.I. Joe
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting