Glad Deer season has started

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Glad Deer season has started

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Now that deer season has started I can hit some of the better more heavily hunted areas around. I set my alarm for 3:00 but was up at 1:00 and couldn't sleep because I was so excited so what the hell. Off I went. The fog was thicker than pea soup so the going was slow. Almost wacked a deer on the way down and thought about the hunters and the luck they might have. Arrived at my spot to see that the water level was much lower than it has been and this made navigating to my spot difficult at best. My head lamp did not help at all because of the fog. I finally arrived at my spot and set the dekes out. Sat down and checked the time to see I still had an hour and fifth-teen minutes to legal. I enjoyed the quiet but was somewhat disheartened by the lack of quacking. Legal time came and went with a few birds coming by but none landing in the spread. I was just about ready to leave when a pair of common mergansers came in and I nailed one of them. The dog did a great retrieve on a wounded bird so I was very happy. One thing bothered me though, the birds kept landing in back of where I was set up so oh well lets move. I changed my spread and had teal landing just out of range. I think they were spotting me because there really wasn't much place too hide.
I saw a mallard drake and hen on the other side of this sand bar and thought that I could sneak up on them by staying low. I told the dog to sit and started the stalk. I got within range and raised my head and the drake was off, bang down he went bang down the hen went and she dove under and I never saw her again. I looked all over and couldn't find her, don't know what happened. The dog made another excellent retrieve and I was back in the new spot and watched Blacks, Mallards, Teal, and Ringnecks all come in and swing and leave or set in on the other side of the cove.

One thing strange happened, I heard swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh and thought what is that. I stepped out to see a small doe crossing the water and heading in my direction.At the same time I noticed another two does already getting closer. Bad thing, my pup noticed too and took off after them, I yelled for her to stop but she kept going. I was panicking thinking what am I going to do. Don't want the dog chasing deer or getting shot for the same. Oh yeah the E-collar!! I reached into my gear back and set it on medium 6 and yelled to her just as she was disappearing into the brush, she didn't respond so I hit her and she whelped but kept going, I hit her again and once more and she stopped and came back. Boy was I happy with that. When she got back the little doe was still around. She saw her and started after her and I gave her a stern no. She stopped in her tracks and we watched the doe return from the way she had come.

I will be back with blind material and hope to get some of them teal. Not many ducks but a great day anyway. Cant wait till next week
K.I. Joe
hunter

Re: Glad Deer season has started

Postby Flytier » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:40 pm

I bet your having a blast with the pup. Sounds like she is doing well. I haven't been seeing the ducks I was seeing early on. From what I hear, there are still a lot of birds to the North, so hopefully they will do a stopover at some of the local waters here. Geese on the other hand are very plentiful.
3 Drake Mallards
1 Hen Mallard
2 Hen Greenwing
2 Hen Woodies
1 Black
1 Snow
Flytier
hunter

Re: Glad Deer season has started

Postby R-Factor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Sounds like a great day KI! Glad things didn't take a turn for the worse with the dog/deer situation. I bet you were rather thankful for the e-collar at that point. Good job on finding some ducks! Here in the Lincoln area, things always thin out BIG TIME right now every year. The local "park Mallards" and the groups of migrating Ringnecks are around, but that's about it. Like always, I'll continue to travel to find quackers.
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting