Heading North

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Heading North

Postby ghostingrey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm headed up to Maine to visit the in-laws the week of November 12th. Currently I live in Kentucky which leaves a lot to be desired as far as bird hunting. I'm planning on bringing some gear with me and hope to do a bit of hunting. What I would be most interested in is chasing some partridge. Used to do a lot of Blue grouse hunting when i lived in New Mexico, but I have yet to even flush a bird after hunting for two years here in Kentucky. I was hoping that someone could point me in the general direction of a WMA that might be worth checking out. I'll be in the Augusta area but I'm willing to drive a couple hours. I'll have my lab with me who has some upland experience.

I'll also be bringing a few decoys with me. I'd love to back a nice Black duck since we rarely see them here in Kentucky. But I'm smart enough not to ask anyone to give up their duck holes. I figure if I can find some water and some food I'll be able to find any ducks.

If anyone is interested in turkey or deer hunting here in Kentucky I'd be happy to share some info or even take you out for a hunt.

Thanks
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Re: Heading North

Postby daffy... » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 pm

after the coastle zone reopens you can get yourself a real black. one of them canadian red legs
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby tgs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 am

p.m. sent
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 pm

It's deer season so it's a pretty crappy time to be in the woods after partridge.

Ducks however are a different story! I live close to Augusta and might be able to get you on some ducks or sea ducks. PM me if you're interested. I've taken a lot of forum guys from other states out. I've got one from New York coming in mid December for eiders.
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks everyone for the info, looking forward to the trip. PM's sent.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Seaductor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

Had a great time hunting with you the past couple days Conor.. Sorry I couldn't get you on the ducks any better than I did.. I was disappointed.. If you come up this way again, I'll try to put you on some salty seaducks
Like they always say: "You should have been here last week"
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting