Buffleheads...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Buffleheads...

Postby bkmaine » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:28 pm

I was in Denmark on Saturday morning and ran across 4 birds that I'd never seen before, this is only my second season duck hunting. I paddled up within 20 yards after watching them from the shore for about an hour. I didn't shoot because I wasn't sure exactly what they were. After doing some more research, I'm almost 100% that they were Buffleheads, one drake and three hens. Are these common to see in Maine?
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Re: Buffleheads...

Postby R-Factor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:57 pm

bkmaine wrote: Are these common to see in Maine?

They are- and beautiful birds those drakes are! I see a lot of them each year in Nov. and Dec. at a spot I hunt on the Washington County coastline. They seem to like sheltered bays/tributaries and will often come in to Black or Mallard decoys just fine. I enjoy them for table fare as well and find them comparable to Ringnecks and Goldeneyes that way.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:09 pm

I took these two drakes one brisk morning in December of 2010. Did the drake you saw look like the bird on the left pictured below? If so, it was a drake bufflehead!

R-Factor
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah he looked like the one on the left, a bit more white. Plus the three hens were definitely buffleheads. They stayed very close together, had I been out there to shoot I might have covered all 4 with the pattern of my shotgun. They got up eventually when I got real close and landed with a group of woodies and then took off with them too.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:26 pm

The dark ones could also be immature males.
papageno
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Diving ducks have to run on the water before taking flight..puddlers spring into the air..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Shot a bunch behind the house in S Lincoln on the river
BMowatt
hunter

Postby daffy... » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:57 am

lots here in the bay and in harpswell. they are a hard target to hit. fast flying little footballs. usually fly low so you can see where your patterns are hitting on the water just behind them
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting