River Q?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

River Q?

Postby Paddles Down » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:33 am

Hey guys I've been doing a lot of research and have been striking out. Can anyone shed shame lit for me I'd appreciate it. My question is hunting the river that separates Maine and New Hampshire, do you need a license from both sides to hunt it. I have my Maine license and figure I'd hunt the Maine side, but most of the launches are on the NH side of the river. To use them would I need to have the NH license. I only ask because I've been in states that as long as you have a license from either you can hunt/launch from any part of a river that is shared by 2 states. Thanks in advance
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Re: River Q?

Postby tgs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 am

GREAT question. I hunt both Maine and NH so carry both licenses and I've hunted boundary waters for years. I treat the boat ramps the same way as driving over a bridge. I hunt New Hampshire water and launch in Maine, but not the other way around. I've asked game wardens from both states, pretty gray area, just make sure your are following whichever states' laws you are hunting in. I would make sure I know the lines on the water. Take Sundays for example. I hunt a spot in N.H. but the ramp is in Maine, no hunting on Sunday in Maine either. I launch, gun and everything cased as it would be in my truck, drive across the lake, like going over a bridge, and then set up on the N.H. side of the lake. If questioned, I can prove where I was, the boundary line is on the map and I'm always over the line on the other shore. This also could come into question when Maine's southern season is closed and N.H. is still open and vise-versa. Always good to call your local Wildlife law enforcement to get their take on it too. If you find out something different, please post it up.

Good luck.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm

So it sounds like I would be ok to launch in NH and hunt the Maine side since that's where i have a license, what about landline birds though if met on the launch? I could see that posing a problem. I'm active duty so I get resident rates in Maine but not NH as far as I know. If I had the money I'd buy the NH license, but don't want to break the rules while trying to increase my hunting locations and opportunities. Thanks for the input you already gave.
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby native brookie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Great question. I know the fishing regulations have specific information on fishing border waters, but don't think I've ever seen this in the hunting regs.

I suspect Troy has this right--but remember that he has licenses in both states. If you are only licensed in one state, you might be in a somewhat grayer area. I'd suggest contacting a local warden in each state. You can get contact info for your local Maine warden from the DIFW main line at 287-8000. They may also be able to answer your question there.

You should also be aware of exactly where the state line is on the Piscataqua. This has been an issue of some dispute over the years. I recall stories of lobstermen trading pot shots over the state line back in the 80's, and I think NH tried to annex Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (in Kittery) back in the 90's.

Something tells me the state line is not as simple as the mid point of the river.

Speaking of which, anyone ever hunt eiders out at the Isles of Shoals? It would be a long run out there in December, but might be worth it if you had enough boat.
native brookie
hunter

Postby tgs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm

My response is from experience only from the first inland bridge and up river, not headed out to the ocean. The state lines are on your Delorme Atlas for lakes and rivers and native brookie is correct...it is not always center of the water. If you are putting in from the N.H. side I would call the Concord office and get their opinion. I do know that if your are striper fishing using a NH ramp you have to go by NH regulations regardless of where you were fishing. I also think that personal attitude goes a long way here. Start off on the wrong foot and you're likely to get a summons. Call first, write down who you spoke with and keep that in your blind bag for reference if needed. By being prepared you can often avoid most confrontations, not all, but most :lol3:
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 am

You should also be aware of exactly where the state line is on the Piscataqua.

According to NH regs the Piscataqua is closed from the Dover Point bridge east. Upstream of the bridge is huntable, but it is in NH not ME. Does anyone know if you can hunt the ME side of the Piscataqua east of Dover Point?
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

You may get a military discount for actiiiive duty in NH. or any state check with NHIFW..or town hall clerks office..get a liiicense -no need not to CYA !! :clapping:
decoycarver
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting