Blind Questions

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Blind Questions

Postby bkmaine » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Is it legal to put up blinds on land that you don't own? or public land? What is the etiquette around this issue in general? There is a spot that I hunted last year and really liked, this year I went back and someone had built a blind there. Its on public land, I still want to hunt there, but I also don't want to start a fight with someone at 5 in the morning. How do I approach this situation?
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Re: Blind Questions

Postby BMowatt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Built on public would make it first come first to hunt
BMowatt
hunter

Postby tgs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Here's a very similiar thread that has been going in the NH forum, viewtopic.php?f=44&t=206796
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I agree. Its first come first serve. If building a blind somewhere reserves the right for me to hunt there, I'm going to every lake in my area and piling up some branches with some twine to reserve my spots :biggrin: I'm not a fan at all of permanent blinds on public land. Its public meaning everybody including non-hunters, new hunters, or old salts. I don't leave my climbing gear in the rock to claim a route next time I feel like coming out. Leaving a kid's pail doesn't claim the sandbox at the park for him. Pack it in pack it out IMHO. That being said, I have used a couple of perma blinds because they were where I wanted to hunt. One of them is my buddies but I walk away any time I see a random stranger in them as he beat me fair and square. But a permablind is not a ticket to reserve a spot. If I get there first or an area that's close to the blind before the blind hunter, that area is mine or we are both going to have a crappy hunting day unless they want want to hunt together (best option for them as I can't shoot to save my life).
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby daffy... » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:38 am

just wait. someone will think its there spot and not yours. though its first come first served. its the bs you gotta put up with hunting in maine/public land. i vote burn it
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby decoycarver » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 am

im from the land of build blinds NY & VT if you build they will come..in those stattes you can not put your floater in the waters before a certian date..and it has to be removed by a certian date as well must be marked with a sign inside and out withe the owners address, phone --When the owner comes to hunt -visiters must leave..due to Decoys are able to be left in the waters of that blind all season..these blind spots are from generation to generation..A fist fight in the legislatuer cured this problem in MM BAY years ago =you can leave Goose decoys out in the BAY..
I came here in 87 built some blnds only to find them the next time destroyed..others empties all over including their lunch trash there too..I cleaned up the sites from trash and never rebuilt again ---a few years back after that i came upon a blind made of netting and such,, decoys in the water a canoe paddles ..i folded the nets, pulled the decoys, put the canoe on shore all in a neat group..i left a note that stated --the waterways , sky and publc land belongs to everyone..your items could have had a new home ..please share..there was a well built blind on public land which i and my buddy used ..solid wood, bench etc..trash bag for emtiey shells trash etc..we gunned it that day and there was a sign inside with builders name and adress..phone-well that night i called him and introduced my self and comented how nice the blind was ..well didnt he get all pissy..and the next time i went there it was gone..so who's to say the guy that comes along after you and claims he built it really did ?? slippery slope ..first come first served in maine..unless you have KEVLAR TIRES be careful ..is it really worth it ???-be mobile ..be safe..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby daffy... » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 am

Exactly. Duck hunters around here don't play nicely. It's to bad decoy carver that he didn't invite u to hunt w him.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby decoycarver » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:28 am

daffy-- thats why i took you there ..you shoot your own Ducks too..course if you where a liittle quicker with your hands you could have grabbed the first group..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 am

Hahaha rule number one. Never leave ur shotgun behind... Actually. I only needed a paddle to knock those birds down
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby bkmaine » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:40 pm

I've decided to just avoid the situation altogether for now, which is too bad because in a way it is enabling people to reserve public land for themselves. I read the NH thread and this one, sounds like it is first come first serve. Even if I'm right, I'd rather just avoid the whole situation, the last thing I want to deal with while I'm out with my dad and my bro is an altercation with someone thinks they own public land. I hunted a spot about a thousand feet from that blind this weekend, was the best hunt we've ever had (we're rookies). Notived that a different blind across the water from us had more than a dozen duck decoys in and 2 goose floaters and no one in the blind hunting. I think next time I will go over and put their things away nicely with a note like you mentioned above. Thanks for your info everyone.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting