Vintage pic Of Randy Dows float at duckers day

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Vintage pic Of Randy Dows float at duckers day

Postby DLHO » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:47 pm

This is a great image of Randys Newburyport Float that I now own and restored- you can see his compass and the shelf on the port side- and the long grey oar He gave me - it does not work well with the Newburyport- but the small green oar that came with float is a Whitney oar and works well- I gave Randy the Whitney oar for one of his birthdays- I love this image of how Randy had it set up- he was such a Great Man- DLHO
Attachments
randys float at duckers day.jpg
DLHO
hunter

Re: Vintage pic Of Randy Dows float at duckers day

Postby plumislandgunnin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Duckers Day was one of my favorite times spent with my dad growing up! The float races were some of the best events. I remember Randy a little but my father and Geoff Walker spend hours telling stories of Randy and his floats. My father built a Newburyport float 15 yrs ago in our basement and its the best duck boat I have ever hunted out of. There is something special about the old timers and the heritage they represent in New England waterfowling. Love reading the stories you post about Randy DHLO!
duck, duck, goose....dinner! ~ Whack 'em & Stack 'em!
plumislandgunnin
hunter

Postby DLHO » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I grew up on the N Shore- and sculled in Ipswich- and Newburyport and my Grandfather Had a Duck camp in Essex- were do you scull? Glad you like the stories- Randy was one of a kind- But as is Geoff Walker- he is a HUGE part of why there are floats on Joppa to this day!! DLHO
DLHO
hunter

Postby D-Day » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 pm

DLHO -

Check your private messages.

Thanks!

D-Day
D-Day
hunter

Postby DLHO » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 am

Sam-

i got you message and I think we can work something out- I know John Marsh- tell him i said hello- browndog39@hotmail.com is my email- let me know what you have for time-

Cheers- DLHHO
DLHO
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting