Ringnecks

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Ringnecks

Postby jlmaine » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:00 pm

We killed a few ringnecks today and have been seeing a few other rare species for around central maine! I have onll been duckin for 3 or 4 years now and was kinda wondering if ringnecks, bluebills and scaup usually come around central Maine? All of our spots we usually only see mallards, teals, woodies etc but now were seeing more diversity... just wondering if the recent storms blew them off track or what... thanks in advance
All about the pup from here on out!
jlmaine
hunter

Re: Ringnecks

Postby K.I. Joe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Dont know about central Maine but lots of ringnecks in my area
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby jlmaine » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:31 am

Are they good table fare? Never shot one before, so tonight i shall cook them up!
All about the pup from here on out!
jlmaine
hunter

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:43 am

jlmaine wrote:Are they good table fare?

In my opinion ringnecks are one of the best eating ducks there is, but I too am in central Maine and don't see them very often for some reason. Could just be the location I guess
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 am

Ringnecks great table fare ..Canvasback # 1 Red Heads #2 and Ringnecks #3..mallards/blacks teal woodies..
Scaup both species on large lakes..same as cans, reds..( lesser Bluebills have a purpleish blue color head..greater has a blueish /green head iridesence..they eat fresh water clams, in vertibrates eel grass.. pond weeds and seeds..Ringnecks do the same..great targets sound like fighter squadrens..once tou iiiiid them all you will never forget them..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:28 pm

I think Ringnecks are great table fare but I also like Mergansers so you may not want to go buy me LOL
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I been shooting ringers and scaup in central Maine since 78. There a corridor they fly. The most northern part of that corridor I have hunted is Lake Moxie. Their used to be a ton wild cranberries in the area I frequent and that was like duckcaine. My sons cut their teeth on eider and ringer. Now prime plummed ringer are rare.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting