Pointing Lab Puppies

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Pointing Lab Puppies

Postby abbymae » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm interested in finding a pointing lab puppy for duck and pheasant hunting. I'm looking for an honest, high quality hunting dog with good hunting background (not a show or field trial dog). I'm looking for someone in the New England area; all I see out there is mid-west/west coast area. Is anyone aware of this type of breeder in Maine or New England? Thanks for your help.
abbymae
Newb

Re: Pointing Lab Puppies

Postby Seaductor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I hunted over pointing dogs for most of my life (english setters) and now have a lab. I considered a pointing lab but after talking to some of the azzholes out west that are pushing them, I was turned off. I think you either get a real pointing dog or get a real retriever. If the bulk of my hunting was still upland, I'd still have setters..
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Re: Pointing Lab Puppies

Postby cjg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 pm

I looked into them for awhile and like you said, they are mostly from out west/mid west. Also from what I learned, it wasn't as "easy" to train them for pointing as it is a real pointing dog. I ended up with another Gordon Setter.
cjg
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting