Thanksgiving Hunt

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Thanksgiving Hunt

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:25 am

Got to go out for a few hours yesterday. I've had my eye on this spot for a while and even though I'm just figuring it out its proving to be a duck haven. The ice was a bit of a problem, I had to go to my backup spot cause the entire cove was iced in. Good numbers flying, mostly big ducks and some good flocks of divers, couldn't quite coax them in though. I've only started hunting over decoys for a couple years now and still have a bit to learn. Hopefully someone can answer a few questions for me.

Is there a type of call specific for ringnecks? Never even shot one until recently but they're a good looking bird and good on the table as well :yes:

What do you guys think of motion decoys? I always have birds come into the spread while I'm picking up or putting decoys down or even when I get up to answer a call of nature. I convinced myself that it was coincidental but its been happening too much for it to be a coincidence. I watched some local rednecks use one once and was shocked at how well they drew birds in. Just wondering if mojos are worth the buy or if a swimming decoy or jerk rig would be better.

How close should I be putting the diver dekes to the big ducks? I know they don't normally mingle so I separate them by at least fifteen yards. I'm not sure if its costing me birds or not but I'm just wondering if there's a general rule on this.

Headed back out Saturday and hope to have another stellar day. And by the way, whoever was hunting in the Palermo/China area could you send me a PM? You had a nice looking scull boat and a little female black lab. We spoke a little just as we were heading out, you'll know who you are. Hopefully everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I had duck to go with the turkey :thumbsup:

Some pics
051 (640x427).jpg

050 (640x427).jpg

065 (640x427).jpg

091 (640x427).jpg

First drake ringneck! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
094 (640x427).jpg
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Re: Thanksgiving Hunt

Postby R-Factor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:10 am

GREAT pics! :thumbsup:
As far as proximity of divers to puddlers...I do like to give a little space between. Just make sure that you don't put the divers TOO far away- as they will often land outside of them rather than between the decoys and the shooter- in my experience.
As regard to Mojos/Jerk Strings/motion etc.- do a search in this forum and the Duck Decoy forum on the main thread index...lots of good info to pour through.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby baydog44 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Hey

I live in Arkansas and have duck hunted for more years than I care to mention!!!! I don't personally like spinning wing decoys as much as jerk strings. If you will send me your address I will make you one---it also helps keep a hole open when it is freezing. I suspect that one of the reasons duckorking when you start and finish is that they see the ripples on the water when you are walking around in it until they see you.

Email: talgoldsby@gmail.com

Good Luck
baydog44
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm

as far as decoy spreads go yes divers follow a line in on the decoys ..they try to land in front of the decoys or tail end..so place diver decoys out front or to each side as a small group..approx 20 yrds max..also keep a mark on your max shot of 40 yrds..this will ensure clean kills at this distancs..i use shot sizes of 4,6
's and 2 for geese nothing bigger -over kill and then you think you can kill birds out to 80 yrds..all you do is wound & lose..I also use stricktly full choke ...in 39 seasons i'v lost 4 birds total..and i dont have a dog..
see my post 2nd season rig--w/ divers /geese and puddlers ..and calling ringnecks..they as all divers make a gruntle sound..they make diver calls but you can use your feeding chucle from your mallard call..I dont have a mojo, spinner ,swimmer or pulsator..im old school, use and practise your calling all year and watch ducks, take notes on behavior..and the sounds they make while doing so..i raised mallards when i was learning nothing better..i did hunt over my buddies pulsater on thursday it looked awesome..to foggy that day for birds..You can spend so much on waterfolw gear and trinkets you'll go broke -KISS theroy--there is not that much competition in maine areas..like other famous areas in big duck hunting states..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby baydog44 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 pm

At no charge---I just make a few for friends.
baydog44
hunter

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:04 am

R-Factor: Good tip about the diver decoys, I had been having some trouble with birds landing outside rather than between me and the decoys. Fixed this problem yesterday and two ringnecks were the reward.

Baydog44: I really appreciate the offer but I'm just not comfortable sending my address to someone I've never met. Thanks for the gesture though. You're right about the ripples, that movement really catches their eyes.

Decoycarver: 39 seasons and only four birds lost? Sounds impressive to say the least. Are you using heavy shot or do you stick with steel? And yeah I saw some guys the other day shooting at ducks that were beyond fair chase, hitting birds and not killing them. Honestly I don't understand that kind of ignorance for somethings life, regardless of what it is. Don't worry about me though, my ethics greatly exceed theirs :thumbsup:
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Postby baydog44 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 am

Hey
I understand---too bad our world/country has become sooooo sick that we must be wary. If you find an address, maybe a store or something, that you consider safe let me know as the offer is still open. I do understand and hope you continue to have a good season. I'm on facebook if you want to see some of my pictures from redneck land feel free.

Thanks

Tal Goldsby
baydog44
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 pm

ive seen more sky busters tan waterfowl in my life time of hunting..i use factory screw in chokes in full only -never mind what the maker says-i use only what i can afford in ammo--Winchester reds..remington and federal..3 inch to 2 3/4..i did try 1-box of 3-1/2 inch..i lost 2 birds that year-made me sick i was shooting out of range-60 yrds +--ruined my shooting most of that year..never again..i use all steel --in the days of lead-i relaoded # 5's, 6's 4's, 2's and 4 buck..in steel iuse 6's and 4's and # 2's on sea-ducks..the closer the duck the better you have more pellets per load..i'll use thes all season..i shoot regular skeet all summer in these ranges so you get use to the yardage..then it becomes natural..you shoot on target every time..puddlers dont have a chance..and you crunch divers flying low accross the water too..Geese will look like big balloons floating in air above you..they are slow..full choke is like punching someone in the face --mod and others are like a slap in the face..you'll do much better..promise...Doug
decoycarver
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 am

Decoycarver: 39 seasons and only four birds lost? Sounds impressive to say the least.

The part that he failed to tell you, is that he only shot down 13 birds total :lol3:

joking of coarse.

Ring neck ducks are quite plentiful in the state. Yes, they are classified as a diver, but act more like a puddle duck.
You tend to find them more in the same habitat as puddlers.
Diving ducks emit a growl. Take your Mallard call, and growl into it, do a grrrrrr sound, steadily, not like a hail call, use your throat
and growl into it, a second or two, repeat that like 4-5 times, in a sequence as the birds are showing interest.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 pm

The part that he failed to tell you, is that he only shot down 13 birds total :lol3:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Take your Mallard call, and growl into it, do a grrrrrr sound, steadily, not like a hail call, use your throat and growl into it, a second or two, repeat that like 4-5 times, in a sequence as the birds are showing interest.

Thanks for the tip, I've been practicing what you said and have to say it sounds pretty good, although I'm by no means an expert caller. Definitely seeing a lot more ringnecks this season, they better watch out now :biggrin:
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm

decoycarver wrote: ...in 39 seasons i'v lost 4 birds total..and i dont have a dog

Image Wow!! At least the "I don't have a dog" part sounds convincing!!!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting