Looking for Report on Seaducks

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Looking for Report on Seaducks

Postby jerseyTDB » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Anybody can give me some reports on seaducks in the casco Harpswell area? looking mostly for Eiders. Any new birds moving in?
jerseyTDB
hunter

Re: Looking for Report on Seaducks

Postby slickmick9514 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Happen to be on the water the other day in the Harpswell area. Noticed a lot of large flocks floating around Quahog Bay. Noticed them later in the morning, so I didn't see them coming in. Eiders and Scoters mainly. Been having a couple flocks frequent the cove I am near, all Eiders.

Always have had good action on the ledges South of Yarmouth Island, FYI. Especially if you can pinpoint the flyway.
slickmick9514
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Decent amount of eiders, few scoters, oldsquaws coming in a little
JCraig12
hunter

Postby RedDog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:55 am

slickmick9514 wrote:Always have had good action on the ledges South of Yarmouth Island, FYI. Especially if you can pinpoint the flyway.

Could you be more specific? Perhaps a GPS coordinate, and the best route around the island. Also, could you tell everyone what day and time you usually set-up, so you can get beat there? :huh:

I think some of you guys are getting a little too comfortable with your information on here. You're not having a private conversation. This is the fourth post on this topic, and there are already 125+ views. There are plenty of lurkers that check these forums for information just like this.

Who needs scouting or local knowledge when you can just go to the web?
RedDog
hunter

Postby southernducker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

:ditto:
southernducker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:21 pm

RedDog wrote:
slickmick9514 wrote:Always have had good action on the ledges South of Yarmouth Island, FYI. Especially if you can pinpoint the flyway.

Could you be more specific? Perhaps a GPS coordinate, and the best route around the island. Also, could you tell everyone what day and time you usually set-up, so you can get beat there? :huh:

I think some of you guys are getting a little too comfortable with your information on here. You're not having a private conversation. This is the fourth post on this topic, and there are already 125+ views. There are plenty of lurkers that check these forums for information just like this.

RedDog,
Speaking of lurkers, I was beginning to wonder where you've been this season! :wink:
Does this mean you won't be attending the group hunt this Saturday? :umm: :lol3: We're all meeting at LL Bean at 3 AM...comparing notes...making sure we've got all the ledges, islands, etc. covered. :wink:
For what it's worth, I do agree with you...gotta be careful about being too specific on here. For me, scouting new areas is a LOT of fun...sometimes I think, just as fun as the hunt itself. If you're looking to try a new area- whether it be Maine or elsewhere- don't rob yourself of the experience in scouting out new locations! Personal tips via a one-on-one conversation can be money in the bank, but tend to work a lot better over the phone or through PM's. I'm very tight lipped about my hunting grounds, so can understand your sentiments RedDog.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 pm

jerseyTDB wrote:Anybody can give me some reports on seaducks in the casco Harpswell area? looking mostly for Eiders. Any new birds moving in?

:welcome: to Maine by the way! If you're not wanting to hire a guide, leave yourself ample time to hunt AND scout...and be safe!
R-Factor
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Yup TMI this is why the blue page will always be second rate :oops:
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby 682x » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Only travel on the west side of Yarmouth Is. at low tide and keep your speed up!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby slickmick9514 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 pm

RedDog wrote:

Lol, just trying to help a brother out. Don't worry it's not my primary spot or secondary either. It's a big ocean and I'm not shellfish.
slickmick9514
hunter

Postby RedDog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:45 am

That's what PMs (private messages) are for. I'm just saying don't throw your local brothers under the bus by broadcasting specific spots to the entire world.
RedDog
hunter

Postby duck envy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Not my state... but I enjoy seeing how my adjoining states are doing on ducks. Saw this thread and my thought was same as the others - why would someone give out such exact info on a website. You say its not your go-to spot. That's fine. But what about the guys that DO use that as their primary spot? You could have just sent a dozen people into their favorite location. Not fair.
I'm all for helping people out. But when I consider giving away locations, I meet the person first. Even through PMs here, you will get guys that are only looking for the easy way out with no scouting involved. Not saying the original poster is like this... but I guarantee others are.
duck envy
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:53 pm

682x wrote:Only travel on the west side of Yarmouth Is. at low tide and keep your speed up!

BBBWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Could you be more specific? Perhaps a GPS coordinate, and the best route around the island. Also, could you tell everyone what day and time you usually set-up, so you can get beat there?

Getting to close for comfort? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:01 pm

i am taking these guys to my spots have met them and hunted while they were here last time..i PM my wispers in the dark ..i have had stolen places by close friends who could not wait for me to take them so they brought someone else -who in turn took so and so who in turn too willie's kids..so on and so--on..gunned the crap out of the place to this day birds are gone..i hunt each place once a week ..keeps thing fresh..your bound to run into someone scouting/hunting..i confront them and tell them the deal..and how not to gun out a place -will they listen hard to say..the Prison Grape Vine has many EARS..dont invite rotten fruit..i have 3,000 miles of coastline in my area..i have SPOTS for every wind and condition..aweful ledges will rip your hull..take your lower unit as quick as an old squaw flies..PM your info please..and there aint bird anywhere -still up in CANADA !!go north youg man go north !!--that where the GOLD IS.. :huh:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm

decoycarver wrote:i am taking these guys to my spots have met them and hunted while they were here last time..i PM my wispers in the dark ..i have had stolen places by close friends who could not wait for me to take them so they brought someone else -who in turn took so and so who in turn too willie's kids..so on and so--on..gunned the crap out of the place to this day birds are gone..i hunt each place once a week ..keeps thing fresh..your bound to run into someone scouting/hunting..i confront them and tell them the deal..and how not to gun out a place -will they listen hard to say..the Prison Grape Vine has many EARS..dont invite rotten fruit..i have 3,000 miles of coastline in my area..i have SPOTS for every wind and condition..aweful ledges will rip your hull..take your lower unit as quick as an old squaw flies..PM your info please..and there aint bird anywhere -still up in CANADA !!go north youg man go north !!--that where the GOLD IS.. :huh:

Doug? Still on Orrs?
flylineguide
hunter

Postby jerseyTDB » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 pm

For the record guys I wasn't asking anybody for their spots just looking for a report on migrating birds instead I seemed to find a lot of A-holes. These chats are to help out your fellow brothers in arms pusuing there passion of duck hunting not a sounding board for individual interpitation of their own stupidity. Can't we all just get along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jerseyTDB
hunter

Postby RedDog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am

jerseyTDB wrote:interpitation of their own stupidity.

Classic. Just can't make this stuff up.
RedDog
hunter

Postby slickmick9514 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I should just let this die ...but, in my defense. The area mentioned, as those that are familiar with it, is about 4 - 5 square miles in area with 15+ visible ledges. Scouting will still need to be done to hunt it and navigate it. Said area is hardly a specific spot. I like how everyone is quick to pile on and I agree with the above in reference to the abundant amount of A-holes on this public format. But with that said it is a public forum.

I'd post it again to help a fellow hunter, which is why I haven't edited the post. It is vague enough and I doubt anything is "ruined" for anyone. I only meant to be helpful in responding to a post a couple days old without response.
slickmick9514
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Jeez, have only run into one other sea duck hunter in the past couple of years...hardly enough to ruin any spot; and by the way, they move around rather a lot, so even with GPS numbers you will have to find them yourself. Saw lots of shy eiders and wary Golden Eyes the other day but can't remember where...short term memory goes quickly with age you know. :smile:
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:28 am

slickmick9514 wrote:I should just let this die ...but, in my defense. The area mentioned, as those that are familiar with it, is about 4 - 5 square miles in area with 15+ visible ledges. Scouting will still need to be done to hunt it and navigate it. Said area is hardly a specific spot. I like how everyone is quick to pile on and I agree with the above in reference to the abundant amount of A-holes on this public format. But with that said it is a public forum.

I'd post it again to help a fellow hunter, which is why I haven't edited the post. It is vague enough and I doubt anything is "ruined" for anyone. I only meant to be helpful in responding to a post a couple days old without response.

I am very familiar with that spot in fact been gunning there since I moved south in 85. If you cant see how it hurts the rest of us well theres no convincing you and I wont try, just remeber there is others out there not hunting that place same days as you. Just because you dont see us on your days there doesnt mean we dont use it. Frankly out of the 15 or so points you mentioned only 2-3 are any good on any given day. Once youve had a spot burned any info put public, whether its here or the Maine sportsmen stings. Gulf of Maine there I told my spot.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby jerseyTDB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:20 am

Since I seemed to stir up the hornets nest on this topic, it would only be fair for me to share some info with you guys.

Hunted and scouted all week with much success thanks to nobody but myself and my party. We were able to find a honey hole!!!!! Tons of birds of every kind. Here are the GPS cords N43'51.504 W070'06.096 Have at it guys!

PS Bring a camera
jerseyTDB
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:03 am

jerseyTDB wrote:Since I seemed to stir up the hornets nest on this topic, it would only be fair for me to share some info with you guys.

Hunted and scouted all week with much success thanks to nobody but myself and my party. We were able to find a honey hole!!!!! Tons of birds of every kind. Here are the GPS cords N43'51.504 W070'06.096 Have at it guys!

PS Bring a camera

Ohhhhhh boy! I used to work at a major retailer one block southwest from your point, but I would'nt advise discharging a firearm at those coordinates. :wink:
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting