Moosehead Lake

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Moosehead Lake

Postby woodduck14 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 am

Hey everyone,
I will be taking my honey moon next year in the Moosehead Lake area. When the wife said that's where she wanted to go the first thing I had to do was check on the possibility of a duck hunt.
Do any of you know any guides that are in that area? I searched google but there wasn't much info.
Any info you guys could provide would be great. Thanks!
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Re: Moosehead Lake

Postby tgs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am

I think most guides in that area run big game or upland hunts. I'm sure there are ducks and geese around but not the duck meca of Maine. BUT very good upland covers in that area. I googled "Maine Guides Moosehead Lake" and Maine Guides Greenville, Maine" and came up with a few, also checked the Maine Professional Guides Assoc. website which also yielded some names, I put "moosehead" in the description line. Good luck, Moosehead is a beautiful area!

Could try going on the Maine website and find the biologist for that area, ask about hunting opprotunities and see if they have any guide names as well. Here's the link,

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/contactus.htm

Region E is Greenville/Moosehead Area
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I found a lot of big game and upland hunting like you said, but I'm sure there's a waterfowl guide around there somewhere.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm

I would go to Wilsons Camps on East outlet. They dont offer waterfowl trips but they know the area, for grouse, moose and deer and groom the snowmobile trails. There is a guide that works there who knows where ducks are for sure if there are any left up there. That doesnt mean they will take you but its a old successful sporting camp that employes full time guides and they are involved with their community. None of that its the guides second job crap.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Where abouts are you staying or is that where you dont know yet? I could point you in a direction we found birds a couple years ago during the october moose hunt..
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 pm

We aren't sure whereabouts we are staying just yet, still kind of looking around. I have checked out Wilson's camp I actually called there this morning and said they don't do duck hunts or who even does in that area. Worst comes to worse I could always book a trout or salmon trip, but a duck hunt on my honey moon would be sweet.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:56 pm

So your gettin' married are you..well after you say -i do --then it's all hers ..after you finally have the pleasure of having sex -go down stairs and put ( 2) dried kidney beans in an empty jar..then each time you get TURNED DOWN -( and it will happen ) take (1 ) kidney bean out..after a short time you can use that empty jar for your change to buy your hunting stuff with -the pay checks are hers..yes i said CHECKS ..then when the kids come along you no longer have change..except the only change you will have is diapers..and one or two days a year to hunt..if your lucky..then the kids get into sports/dance or what ever where you have to take them and pick them up or stay for the 2 hours .during hunting season..of course this is while you work 2 jobs because 1 is not enough to pay for those braces or music lessons..( honey i love you but you have to sell your guns and boats ) we need the money..and no more dogs we are TOO BUSY !!--Then graduation , collegs bills ..cars..oh so much you must learn before hand..then they are gone -but she's to worn out to do anything..then the gran kids show up and that is the best -it's what we did all this for..i have 4 and i spoil them then i go home..and hunt and fish..and i get to teach them all over again..now i miss them when not around..and if you retire early like me -still no one to hunt with your buddies are working..then you hook up retirees and hope they can walk to the blind..life is good..make the best of it..now im the patrearck !! the king lived !! good luck ..be wise early ..there is no hand book ..your on your own.. :hammer:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 am

Moosehead area is not the duck hunting area to go to. I have a friend who works the lake for the DOC in the summer fall and while there are some ducks in the summer they seem to vacate the area early in the season. My buddy says that there is not much ducky looking water on the lake. Like was said earlier it is a beautiful area and the upland hunting this year was great but not much for ducks.......If it was a great area for ducks the guides would be offering trips.....Sorry but congrats on the marriage.....Marriage is great as long as you have the right one LOL
2012-2013 Season
4 Geese
1 Hen Mallards
3 Drake Mallard
5 Drake Woodie
4 Hen Woodie
7 Hen Common Merganser
8 Blacks
2 Ringneck
2 Hen Hooded Mergansers
2 Drake Hooded Merganser
0 drake Green Wing Teal
1 Hen Scoter
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 am

I've never hunted it and can't say what you may find, but Indian Pond, which is the next lake downstream from Moosehead in the Kennebec River system, has a nice wet land at the northern end that might hold some ducks, especially early in the season.

You should also be aware that the East Outlet of Moosehead is open to fishing all fall, and offers fantastic fishing for landlocked salmon and brook trout. It is limited to fly fishing only, but if I were in Greenville in the fall, that's where I'd head.
native brookie
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks for all the info guys. It's looking like we will be there in August so that means no ducks, but will definitely try a guide for salmon and trout.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby titleguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 pm

August can be really good or really tough on the EO depending on levels and temps. I have been staying at Wilson's every fall for the last 8 years- Scott and Alison are terrific. Scott is rowing the river again in a new clackacraft- book a trip with him.

This fall was quite good on the EO, for a change- higher water levels and good weather.
titleguy
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting