Heating up!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Heating up!

Postby jlmaine » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:15 pm

It has been dead where i hunt lately and this cold snap and a little snow really got the birds moving! We set up for goldeneyes and had pretty good success :beer: although we missed more than we hit we all had an awesome day. And had the opportunity to run both of our dogs today and it was absolutely awesome!
Attachments
2012-12-01_16-03-50_745-1.jpg
All about the pup from here on out!
jlmaine
hunter

Re: Heating up!

Postby maineducker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Awesome! :hammer: I agree it's heating up. We saw hundreds of ducks and geese today. But, as is typical, ducks closed for us today. Ridiculous we can't extend the north zone! :no:
maineducker
hunter

Postby jlmaine » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 am

The zone thing is a real pain in arse i agree. I personally wish the whole season was longer. The last month has heen so slow now the birds are around and its ending soon.
jlmaine
hunter

Postby maineducker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:46 am

We tried pretty hard to get the north/south zone redefined this year. There's just to many fair weather and deer hunters in this state who refuse to change with the times. The main argument has been that people get "froze out". IMO that's a lame excuse and is about 20 years behind the times. There's open water on our major rivers you could hunt all winter. Plus don't forget the agricultural fields. With the way weather patterns have changed most of the birds don't start showing up until December. But what do I know. :biggrin:
maineducker
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:33 pm

maineducker wrote:We tried pretty hard to get the north/south zone redefined this year. There's just to many fair weather and deer hunters in this state who refuse to change with the times. The main argument has been that people get "froze out". IMO that's a lame excuse and is about 20 years behind the times. There's open water on our major rivers you could hunt all winter. Plus don't forget the agricultural fields. With the way weather patterns have changed most of the birds don't start showing up until December. But what do I know. :biggrin:

change with the times?! lets talk about hunting on sundays... i started thinking this year, luckily i work second shift but i started thinking about the working man working from sun up to sun down (this time of year). saturday is his only hunting day. especialy for a deer hunter. 4 days to bag a deer. that sucks
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 am

Being a man who works first shift I can attest to the need to hunt on sundays. No reason not to, other than the chance of some increased posting because of irate land owners
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am

Sunday hunting would shorten our season. We only get 60 days, and giving us the Sundays would make us lose a week off the season length.

Plus, my marriage benefits from having one day a week when I can't be distracted by anything other than scouting.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Sunday Hunting debate again :crying: It ain't gonna happen period. The guys in Ct are always yacking about it too and it does no good.

For a historical refresher, a few years ago, it came up and a lot of Maine landowners they would post their property if Sunday hunting was passed. They want one quiet safe day in the woods they own. They like it the way it is. It got voted down then and it will again.

You just need to have patience!! When you get old and retire like me, you can hunt 6 days a week if you want!!!! I waited a long time for this and I'm enjoying it! :hammer:
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:43 pm

I agree that it would be nice to hunt sundays,especially since I work mon-sat.I also agree that it will never happen.
I compensate by buying a NH license,I can hunt sunday when I can't get in a vacation day.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Re:

Postby daffy... » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Seaductor wrote:Sunday Hunting debate again :crying: It ain't gonna happen period. The guys in Ct are always yacking about it too and it does no good.

For a historical refresher, a few years ago, it came up and a lot of Maine landowners they would post their property if Sunday hunting was passed. They want one quiet safe day in the woods they own. They like it the way it is. It got voted down then and it will again.

You just need to have patience!! When you get old and retire like me, you can hunt 6 days a week if you want!!!! I waited a long time for this and I'm enjoying it! :hammer:

soo couldnt we move that day to a monday? im looking out for the working man. i wont make it to retirement, ive broken my back, had my left wrist reconstructed. ACL, MCL replaced and i have crohns disease and im only 24. i have a hard enough time with the boats etc right now. its gonna be back in 20+ more years
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby K.I. Joe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:31 am

I hear you/.....Wait until retirement to have fun, no way. A lot of us never make it. I will keep preaching until it does happen and if we ever get a commissioner with some back bone maybe it will. It makes no sense, more populous states to the south have Sunday hunting. No common sense to this at all.
Bad enough that most have one day to hunt. I say let the landowner post their land....At least I could hunt Sundays on my land or public land......OK, I have ranted enough, now I have to head off to work. Have a good day gentlemen LOL
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 am

Sunday hunting has been put forth several times with all kinds of different ways to make it work. Landowners are only part of the resistence, but they always take the brunt of the blame from sportsmen. Its the wolf in sheep clothing that need their minds changed. SAM, DU, MPGA, to name just 3 powerful special interest groups, all would have to be in favor of this as well. Which will never happen because inevitably one or two of them would try to fatten the bill and change the original intent. Also enforcement entities would have to be in favor. They have huge input, which is completely bogus, its our game, its our money they are spending. They should be doing so within the perimeters we tell them too, not within union bargining perimeters.

One more point I need to make. People keep saying 'aint gonna happen' when it comes to Sunday hunting. This phrase is used constantly when trying to make changes in game laws.

Your all correct it wont ever happen with that attitude. Its a fight and if you want it you have to work for it within the system. That is the problem. Small steps and convincing others of your ideas works althoug slow. Getting others to act on those ideas is a challenge.

One thing I have run into, recently, that maddens the crap out of me is the 'officals' for the state of Maine actually polled non residents. Not only asked for their opinions but took them into account. ***? If someone from NH or LA or KY ect wants input on Maine rule making they should be a resident. Do we poll them for all rulemaking, NO, just sporting stuff. Why? IMO, Sportsman Alliance of Maine. Furthermore if the state officals are spending our dollars on polling and account NR opinions we should tell them to stop.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby maineducker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 am

I agree with that poll being way out of whack. The waterfowl zoning and dates need serious tweaking but it's been an uphill battle. I feel a lot of hunters and entities in Maine are so set in their traditions that it's nearly impossible to convince the majority to change. The argument for a new north/south line is as simple as sticking your head out the window. It's December 4th and it's 50 and raining out. The main push of northern ducks is hitting right now and here I sit typing this post!! The days of being "frozen out" at the end of the season are gone. The only hunters that are frozen out are the ones that only hunt one or two spots and are unwilling to waver from them. You can easily find open water or fields to hunt right through December. You're always going to have that one cold snap or early snowfall but for the most part the ice lets go and the snow melts and neither takes hold until late December or January (with the exception of far Northern ME). Weather and duck migration patterns have changed A LOT and we need to change with them.

As for Sunday hunting I personally am not for it. Right now it's the only thing keeping our northern zone closing when it does. If it was not for no Sunday it would have closed a week earlier.
maineducker
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:07 am

I am personally against 7 days a week hunting. Thats a bad business point of view for a guide but its how I feel. Ecspecailly in big game. But the closures could easily be a different day as said before. Why not 3 days open one day closed ect.....? There is a hundred different ways of doing it. I put the reason of Sunday being picked, squarley on religion, not tradition. Anyone else here remeber the blue laws? Buying all your beer on Saturday afternoon for all day Sunday? Kmart and SNS having to be closed on Sunday by law. IMO its from religious points of view that Sunday is closed, but it is not PC to point that out anymore. FDR (I think) once said, 'Maine where you find 2 Methodists and a Baptist in every garage!' Thats simply untrue these days. Hell you can buy beer from a Somalian in the morning at the Walmart now.

I disagree with the word tradition being in play on this. To me, anyway, tradition is gunning a certain location, or over so and so's decoys, and the like. Hunters have traditions for sure but arent they more like 'we hunt every Thanksgiving on point x and every New Years we ice fish here' ? Entities just have policies, politics, laziness and or unwillingness, and excuses as to why not. Anyone else ever heard the phrase from a entity employee, 'I work for the commisioner!' I have and I bet the commisioner, current and past, would all say 'I work for the govoner.' All the salaries come from us thou.

I been in this before for other stuff and I got a retaste of excuses as to why not when the new zone got created. I thought we should just use the sea duck zone boundry. I voiced my opinion and heard the why nots. The jist of why not was ,its a federal thing. Well, the feds are not going to make changes if the state reps dont ask for them. Plus the state considered Non residents opinions. Thats just wrong and it should be illegal for the state government to consider non residents. Non residents are better represented then residents in matters of game laws thanks to SAM and now the powers to be are making desicions based on their input with out being bullied into that by SAM. Anyone else read the Non resident task FARCE final report. We are so PC now we dropped the words alien from our game laws. We also changed the laws of aliens having to hire a guide for big game. We care about non resident/aliens feelings so much that we eliminated income opportunities for residents. Its sick.

I still think we screwed ourselves in the long run on the coastal zone. I think we took the instant gratification route. I am happy as hell about 2 weeks later, but if we had used the sea duck zone we could have asked for reclassifiing some ducks into the sea duck bag, like GE for one. I killed a late January GE in AK last year what a difference in plummage. We could have fought to keep all of January open in exchange for October. Brant still arent even open in January. What happened there? January is when I see brant. We made progress for sure and I am thankful for what we got but we didnt go far enough and we let 'them' tell us how it was going to be. I dont see a path ahead to later seasons which we know we need. I see my kids and grandkids having to fight this fight again because we went part way. The system is so broken its maddening.

I wish Subbie would chime in, he is a current council member and he was there, as member of the public, when the past commisioner opened the public hearing to reduce the eider limt, with the statement 'If your here about the eider limit it is to late the council has made a decision. This hearing is just a formality.' Only after saying that did he asked Andrea to start recording the meeting. I asked for those tapes and was told there was a recording failure and they didnt get it taped. If that is not a corrupt/broken system I dont know what is. Danny Martin is one person I dont miss. Subbie could probably put a prespective on getting things done that isnt represented here. Game laws as a whole should not be political but they are.

Our foots in the door we just need to push harder, stop excusing the people working on the public dollar, send groups like SAM a message by dropping our memberships, quite being so PC, and most importantly dont be defeated before you even try.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby jlmaine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 am

Off topic but we shot a wood duck today..gotta love the warm weather! :beer:
jlmaine
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am

jlmaine wrote:Off topic but we shot a wood duck today..gotta love the warm weather! :beer:

THAT is nuts- unreal! Is anyone else seeing Wood Ducks this week? I know southern Mainers see them in November frequently, but this has got to be the latest report of a Woodie I've seen in a while. I don't believe I've seen one in four or five weeks- even on recent trips to Washington County marshes. I have been seeing GW Teal this past week there.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:07 pm

havent seen a woody since the split and actually i didnt shoot a single teal this year. a group of around 250 in the bay flew by just after the split and thats all ive had in my area
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby mountainguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

No wood ducks here. Just got back from 3 hours boating on river...spooked up a couple good sized flocks of mallards, with just a handful of teal mixed in; small clusters of blacks; plenty of buffleheads; several bald eagles. That's about it.

On Sundays...
* I empathize with the working man; no disagreement there. Lucky me can pick which 5 days I work each week.
* I do believe its good for non-hunters and families to have day to wander the woods without fear; they shouldn't fear, but unfortunately many do. I bet letting them have Sundays also lets them be less anti-hunting at voting time.
* Coming from the West (while my wife is a Mainer), I think its great not to see droves of city hunters come in every weekend; that's what happens in many other places. In Maine its mostly Mainers or fairly respectful people from away, compared to what I grew up with out West. I expect only being allowed to hunt 1 weekend day makes it not worth the time for yahoo wanna-be-redneck-but-aren't city folks' to drive so far.
* Does keep me home on Sundays (or hiking with family) which makes the wife happy; that's noone else's responsibility but mine, but I'm thankful for it.
* But boy when its really hunting season and I haven't been able to get out any other time, Sundays hurt.
-------------
2014: 1 Goose, 6 ducks
2013: 9 Geese, 31 ducks
2012: 10 Geese, 27 ducks
2011: 3 Geese, 20 ducks
2010: 5 Geese, 20 ducks
2009: 3 Geese, 20 ducks
2008: 1 Goose, 18 ducks
2007: 4 Geese, 19 ducks
mountainguy
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Yes it does hurt and it is hard to split my limited vaca time between family, ducks, geese, turkey, deer, fly fishing......I work five days a week all year and should be able to do what I want to on the other two.
Especially on my own property
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby 682x » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Deer hunt??? Who deer hunts when you could be duck hunting?! LOL
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Not me but the wife is getting craving for some deer steak....she doesnt like ducks LOL
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby jlmaine » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm

ya I nearly lost it when my dog brought it back... I hadn't seen any woodies since early November, but hey ill take it. and I also have to deer hunt next year :sad: the old lady loves deer steak and has become a little naggy about no deer haha. so as long as she lets me hunt every weekend ill try to shoot her a deer :no:
jlmaine
hunter

Postby daffy... » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 pm

682x wrote:Deer hunt??? Who deer hunts when you could be duck hunting?! LOL

i do. for about 2 days, shoot the first one i see; for a years worth of ice fishing snacks, jerky, sausage and cold weather stew. also gift it to some coworkers for free beer and lunch for a week
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting