Question

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Question

Postby Paddles Down » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:12 pm

So I have a boat and since I got stationed here I've been thinking about going on an eider hunt. My question is I don't have a lot of cash to buy eider decoys. I do have a lot of Bluebill decoys, will eiders come into them or shy away? Any input would be appreciated!
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Re: Question

Postby tgs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 am

The worst they can say is no :lol3:

They might be a little small but you could throw some paint on them and give them a whirl, or if you have access to some scrap wood, plywood or luan you could make some sleds. Do a google search for homemade sea duck decoys, sure it will reveal something. Also check craiglist, people always trying to dump old flambeau's. A little black and white paint and you're in business.

Good luck, safe boating.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Honestly as stupid as this sounds Clorox bleach bottles would probably work considering the Drakes are almost all white. And by the time they should see the difference it will be too late. Handz
I am A Redneck
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 am

I've never been sea duck hunting, but I've heard the same thing regarding the white bottles. I've also heard milk jugs (you could at least spray paint them white). The Northwoods journal had a short blurb not too long ago that mentioned sea duck hunting for first-timers and the best ways to maximize the decoys you have. May be worth looking up?
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby vette04915 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:46 pm

i make my own eider decoys from a mold i have. if you never been seaduck hunting becareful the ocean can be a bad place
vette04915
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Bleach jugs should work alright, you could even try putting a little black on them
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting