Heading to the Open Ocean

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Heading to the Open Ocean

Postby duckmann » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:13 pm

I am heading out this weekend to the eastern part of the state to try my luck with the buffleheads and sea ducks. Has anyone seen if the Eiders are yet appearing in the inner bays? I noticed a small article in "North Woods Journal" that said they had to beat them off the decoys with a stick around the area of "Harrington" Maine. . . but this does not echo what I have seen/heard so far.

Also, anyone know how to cook an Eider so that it is edible? I have tried just about everything. . . including Eider Jerky which I swear I can still taste from time to time. . . I have heard about Eider stew but have never been able to find a recipe.
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:51 pm

MILK! Soak in milk to 'calm' the flavor. It's worth a try since I have never heard of any other solution to the strong flavor.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Dog Food

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:36 am

Does anyone grind up their ducks, cook them and feed them to their dogs? Just curious. . . I have the new pup and am not sure if that would even be healthy for them. . . I mean the last Eider I ate almost killed me. . . YUCK!
duckmann
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:06 am

Most guys avoid feeding duck to thier dogs,don't want a retriever to develop a taste for the bird he carries in his mouth.He might get a hard mouth,start mauling the bird.Then again I know guys that have no problem with it and they say thier dog is ok with birds.I don't give my dog duck as a precaution for the above reasons.
My mother grew up in Newfoundland Canada and she cooked a lot of game, including seaduck, because there was nothing else most of the time.She had a recipe that involved onion,potato,apple,brine,milk,and I think some cooking wine.I have to get it from her.Breasting them and then marinating them is decent.I had smoked Eider once and it wasn't too bad,but you could tell it was Eider still.Best thing you can do for seaduck is accept the fact that it isn't corn fed mallard and go from there.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting