Season Recap

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Season Recap

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:24 am

so this season for me has been a success in my eyes. I had a good handful of hunts where i didnt kill anything, but I still learned a great deal from all of it. I found a couple great early season spots, and a couple fantastic late season spots. My dog got her first retrieves this year, and even though shes no stud in the field, and doesnt listen perfectly sometimes, it makes you feel real good when they make an amazing retrieve. I tried some new things this year, different decoy patterns, tried a mojo, and a jerk cord, found out what works best and what time of the season they work best. overall I am please with this season! my best memory was pulling up to a cove where I knew 20 or so mallards always hungout all day, sneaking out of the car, along the banking to a good spot to get a shot when they all flew out. They flushed, but were about 60+ yards in the air, and i figured why not, took a shot, dropped a big mallard, and sent the dog out, then i couldnt even see the bird where it hit, but scanned all around and just saw the tip of the beak breaking to shore 50 yards away, before I could yell to the dog who had just reached the original landing zone, she figured it out and made a beeline straight for it. the duck wound up getting on land, and at that point I started to get worried because I hadnt worked a lot on tracking scent with my dog. but she went up on land, and disapeared in the woods for a good 2 minutes which had me worried. only to pop out with a big fat green head in her mouth. I shouted to her to come back, and she dove right in, and swam back and dropped it at my feet, even though it was months ago, and she had done many other retrieves that year, i still remember the huge smile on her blood covered face.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Season Recap

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

congrats.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm

thanx! it really feels good to know the hard work in the off season pays off when the dog makes a retrieve like that
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Sounds like a good year to me...way to keep at it!
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting