Coastal Zone succesful

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Coastal Zone succesful

Postby birdy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I definately enjoyed more hunting time due to the expanded season and everytime out I saw multiple other parties of hunters out enjoying the sport.

I think it was a success and hope it continues. Thank you to those who worked hard to make it happen.
birdy
hunter

Re: Coastal Zone succesful

Postby almostgotit » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:32 pm

I agree. In the past things always seem to be picking up right at the end of the season and then...it's over. This season those extra days at the end allowed me to get the geese and ducks showing up after the bay froze. Finally had a chance to use my white camo too.
almostgotit
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Loved the new coastal season! Great idea! :thumbsup:
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby mountainguy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Coastal Zone was definitely a success for me. I'd just like to know if it was a success for the ducks too...doesn't affect migrating/wintering populations negatively? If its not a success for the ducks, ultimately its a disaster for the rest of us.

The changing climate is the big wild card here, apparently as recently as a decade ago we didn't need to wait until January for this kind of ice-up and hunting.
-------------
2014: 1 Goose, 6 ducks
2013: 9 Geese, 31 ducks
2012: 10 Geese, 27 ducks
2011: 3 Geese, 20 ducks
2010: 5 Geese, 20 ducks
2009: 3 Geese, 20 ducks
2008: 1 Goose, 18 ducks
2007: 4 Geese, 19 ducks
mountainguy
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 am

For sure a good idea and now lets beat them up to move another 2 weeks later, and yes Thank You to all who fought for it
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby native brookie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I don't know that I'd go 2 weeks later. It would depend on what we'd be giving up earlier in the season.

The change I'd like to see is to have the coastal zone applied only to tidal water, and have it apply to all tidal waters. (I'd exclude the Kennebec above Bath and the Penobscot above Verona.)

I hunt several areas that would have been great at the end of the coastal season, but they are inland of Route 1. I also heard a few complaints--and I understand them--that the timing of the coastal zone didn't make sense for freshwater areas east of Route 1. If I had a great wood duck hole in Phippsburg or Port Clyde, I might agree that the new coastal zone limits my opportunity.

Why can't we use the same line we do for freshwater/saltwater fishing? Presumably all of the DIFW and Marine Patrol wardens know where that is.
native brookie
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 am

native brookie wrote:I don't know that I'd go 2 weeks later. It would depend on what we'd be giving up earlier in the season.

I would trade the first 2 weeks in October in a heart beat in the new zone. Whats the point on the salt those weeks, park ducks?? I for one love shooting late season divers and Blacks. October is for woodducks inland anyway IMO

Why can't we use the same line we do for freshwater/saltwater fishing? Presumably all of the DIFW and Marine Patrol wardens know where that is.

Your talking about last downstream bridge, sea duck zone. I got a email from IFW about that, which is what I supported. The readers digest, its too complicated as the sea duck zone is a hole seperate venue then regular duck season. Like Moose and Bear overlap but not the same season.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 am

I was at the Waterfowl hearing back last summer when the Coastal Zone was approved. The majority of the meeting attendees were in favor of extending the closing of the coastal zone to about the 15th of January. The DIF&W and the waterfowl council thought it would be a better idea to close it on the 5th the first year and see what kind of feedback they got from the hunters.

They suggested that if the feedback was to extend it to a later date, that option could be addressed at the 2013 meeting.

If you think you'd like the season to go deeper into January next year, then contact your waterfowl council representative before the meeting date and better yet, come to the meeting and express your opinion.
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby RedDog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 am

I thought the coastal zone was a good idea, and still do, even though we didn't have much success locating hunt-able "tasty ducks" in the extra 2 weeks. We did quite a bit of scouting but any concentration of mallards/blacks seemed to be right on shore in front of houses, or stacked up under wharves in the harbor. Somebody must have sneaked them a copy of the latest regs...

We tried one extra river hunt (and broke ice for about a mile), then just made the transition to seaducks, as normal.
RedDog
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 am

I managed to find a couple pockets of blacks and mallards that were hunt able. Of course along with buffies and GE. I thought it was a success but I'm not sure if I'd rather have that open, or have my spots for woodies and ring neck etc. open for the last week they're likely to be around. Tough decision.
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm

i like it but i would like it more if it wasnt split. just start it later. same goes for south zone
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby almostgotit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

mountainguy wrote:Coastal Zone was definitely a success for me. I'd just like to know if it was a success for the ducks too...doesn't affect migrating/wintering populations negatively? If its not a success for the ducks, ultimately its a disaster for the rest of us.

The changing climate is the big wild card here, apparently as recently as a decade ago we didn't need to wait until January for this kind of ice-up and hunting.

I would second concern for the ducks. Would extending the season another two weeks well into January put a burden on the duck population? If so then I would not be for it.
almostgotit
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Just curious,

If CZ doesn't open until later in October, doesn't that sacrifice early teal shooting - or don't teal use the salt marshes in Maine?
papageno
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 am

The coastal season was a great move for us, and I very much want it to continue-or expand. This will call for the moving of the MIDDLE of the season (or the end of first and the start of second season)...it would allow for early teal/woodies and remove the dead zone of few moving in birds and wait until a migration is more apt to have happened.

As for the pressure being too much for the ducks- I would disagree. What I saw was a few of the more die hard hunters out hunting in January- but for the last 5 days I hunted- I saw NOBODY at the ramp- heard no other shots, and believe the pressure was low on the birds. The less motivated hunter (Opinion here) would be willing to go on a nice day, but it is a lot of work to prepare for January hunts- and I really do not think the amount of people on the water was as high on Jan. 5th as it was on October 5th.

A further example- a friend I hunt w/ often stored his boat right after Christmas- because he always does, and he just wasn't willing to change.

Personally, I would LOVE the C.S. to extend to January 15.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm

DITTO on Hutch's comments.....was out up 'till the end here in Southern areas and not one other puddler hunter....NOT ONE.....and there were great numbers of birds....all kinds if I wanted to take divers......of course, it sure would be nice to see the limit on Blacks go to two!!!! Anyhow.....for the few of us out there the gunning was wonderful and in my eyes the zone was a great success. The impact on the overall take of birds I am guessing was nominal and the zone accomodated 'real' waterfowlers....not trying to be insensitive, but I am pointing out that only a diehard is going to be out that time of year. This was the same and continues to be the same for NH coastal hunters years after they implemented an extension into January. I think the only 'change' for me was that I did not get out on the salt as many times in December as in the past.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby K.I. Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm

I wish I was closer so I could take advantage of the expanded opportunity
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 am

papageno wrote:Just curious,

If CZ doesn't open until later in October, doesn't that sacrifice early teal shooting - or don't teal use the salt marshes in Maine?

Plenty of salt marhes above Rt 1 on yeah anyone want to buy a slightly used outboard, runs great until it overheats...... Sux being 2 weeks left and having to replace another motor :mad:
flylineguide
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 pm

I get what you're saying flyline.
papageno
hunter

Postby 1187 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 am

Coastal zone was awesome. Jan. 15...even better. Just take another week in oct.
hunter

Postby Cub » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I agree it was great. The only thing I would like to see is the kittery line to go up RT.236 to RT4 to the NH border. That was we could hunt up in the river in eliot.
Hours of preparation for seconds of exhilaration
Cub
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting