Cabelas Duck Taxidermy Kit

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Cabelas Duck Taxidermy Kit

Postby hurtin_honkers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

hey guys, i have some ducks i froze because i was too lazy to clean them during the season lol, and because i thought i could use them during the summer to sharpen the dogs skills, and i was on cabelas website today, and i saw that they have a duck taxidermy kit and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kit?
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Cabelas Duck Taxidermy Kit

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Turkey tails and beards are as far as I take MY home taxidermy skills! :lol3:

Good luck though! :thumbsup:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby tgs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm

733SubDucker wrote:Turkey tails and beards are as far as I take MY home taxidermy skills! :lol3:

Good luck though! :thumbsup:

Yup x2

And maybe a euro skull mount :lol3:
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 am

You should buy the pieces individually to make sure you get the correct size body/neck material/head, etc.

Take lots of measurements and study the anatomy

Also, often times those kits are missing things that make life easier such as an artificial head/foot injection fluid etc. Sure, mounts can be done without them but a ducks foot and bill will shrivel up pretty good if not injected/replaced. Also, cleaning a duck's head is a lot more work than an upland skull (common to use real head) so it is well worth te $10 for an artificial head.

Check out van Dykes. Big selection, decent prices.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm

JustinNH wrote:You should buy the pieces individually to make sure you get the correct size body/neck material/head, etc.

Take lots of measurements and study the anatomy

Also, often times those kits are missing things that make life easier such as an artificial head/foot injection fluid etc. Sure, mounts can be done without them but a ducks foot and bill will shrivel up pretty good if not injected/replaced. Also, cleaning a duck's head is a lot more work than an upland skull (common to use real head) so it is well worth te $10 for an artificial head.

Check out van Dykes. Big selection, decent prices.

i bought a starter kit hoping it would give me some tips on getting started like a fleshing tool to use by hand, all the chemicals etc. to get started, they basically send you the bare mini instructions and the bare mini supplies to get you part way threw a mount.

im a beginner so ill save you the hassle and give you a list of what you MUST have. the guys in the taxi forum could probably tell you better and would probably tell you different but shop online. youll need

-dawn saop
-borax. a little goes a long ways
-neck tubing, one inch is universal
-wire; i get that at the hardware store. i cant remember what guage i use but i use two types ones the thickness of a number 2 pencil lead or like the ink in a bic pen and i also get one thats double that size.
-head, my kit had you model the actual birds head which was really hard, save your fustration for the other hard parts of the mount and just buy one, body, eyes to spec. i use 11mm eyes
-a hobby knife kit, one with a bunch of different interchange able blades basically a scalple
-small zip ties and electric tape.
-thread and a cape needle
-not a must but really should get foot injection and seringe. just a suggestion but not a must. the feet shrink
-super glue

you must deflesh, i used a small brass wire brush to do it my first time then made a fleshing wheel. the hand brush will do it though

it seems like a lot but really it isnt. i got started for under a 75$ and got 3 birds worth of supplies minus the heads and bodies. taxidermy is a unique art. theres no correct way to do it when the final product makes it to the wall. there many techniques just gotta keep studying and practicing. really the only rule is get allllll the flesh off and the rest is up to you on how to get the bird to set. the best tip i can give you is mark your body where the wings go in and the legs, also the neck length. those limbs almost dont make sense when you start assembling

good luck
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 am

ya ive got a couple birds frozen, all from early season. nothing too special besides maybe a good looking black duck, or hen mallard. but all my drakes still got early season feathers. shoulda saved a few green heads from the pile i shot late season!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I have done a few birds in my shop and I use pretty much common bought stuff from local hobbies shops like tubular foam for necks,to wire from hardware stores,only thing I buy for duck mounts are forms from McKinsey and eyes,the rest is dawn dish soap,white gas,and I made a fleshing box from an old motor from a furnace,blower motor,and mounted it on the back of the box,with the shaft in the box,where I attatch a wire wheel for fleshing! Super easy! Sculpting clay,drill,and apox,needle for rehydrating the feet,loaded with a little dawn dish soap and water,inject until they look full! All the plaques I either made or bought,the stone is spray foam that I shape with a sheetrock rasp,and then with a cheap paint brush smear it with glue and hobby sand to look like a rock! Think they came out pretty good,and most of the stuff is cheap to buy!

Oldsquaw

Snow Goose (Blue Phase)

Bufflehead

Pair of Goldeneyes

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"