Red Head Decoys

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Red Head Decoys

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:08 pm

Saw in Bass Pro that they are now making the redhead decoys with the new "snap lock" feature where the keel appears to be removeable. Can someone please tell me what the possible benefit is in that?
duckmann
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:41 pm

havent seen the red head decoys but a friend of mine bought the brand Greenhead decoys also with a removable keel. Good looking decoy but I can't either figure out why they would have a removable keel we dropped a couple of the keels when picking up the decoys so he ended up gluing them on.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby redleg hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:11 pm

just bought and recieved the greenhead brand mallard decoys with removable keel . warning lable said to avoid removing keel
redleg hunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:52 am

I would assume that the removable keel provides two uses....field and movement. Primarily I think they are making the decoys for use on the field and on the water....overall comments/results are rather mixed, but the consensus seems to be that more keels are lost than utilized....and anyways, the field use is limited ....how many groups of ducks in a cornfield are all resting? Not many. In a field you can use a few, but most ducks are standing while feeding! You need some ful bodies for that (I have a dozen Eberhart that are great for field use and as a shore decoy. They really offer a realistic set-up on a tidal flat or sandbar!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

"Snap Locks"

Postby duckmann » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:01 pm

I am glad that others were just as confused as I was. I thought that maybe you could buy extra keels for them and attach the keel that best matched your hunting water depths. I know I hunt in anywhere from 2 feet to 40 feet of water and managing lines is always a huge pain.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to best manges my rigging issue?

Redleg, your post about the warning label cracked me up!
duckmann
hunter

Postby redleg hunter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:38 pm

I KEEP MY EIDERS ON A 6 DECOY RIG WITH ANCHORS AT BOTH ENDS. I WIND THE STRING FIGURE 8 AROUND A HARDWOOD PLYWOOD CUT OUT WITH A HANDLE CUT OUT . IT WORKS WELL AND SAVES TIME. I KEEP DECOY LINE , 8 TO 10 FEET ON EACH OF MY BLACKS, MALLARDS, AND WHISTLERS. BUT I KEEP MY ANCHORS FOR THOSE SEPERATE ATTACHED TO THE BIG SS SNAPS AND REMOVE WHEN NOT IN USE, TOSS THEM INTO A MILK CRATE. AND STORE MY EIDER RIGS INTO AMILK CRATE TO. DUCKMAN : IT WAS TRUE ON THAT WARNING LABLE, PRETTY FUNNY . IT ALSO SAID REMOVING KEEL WILL WEAR OUT SNAP LOCKS.
redleg hunter
hunter

Riggin'

Postby duckmann » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:33 am

RL,

Thanks for the info on the riggin' I keep my Eiders and Buffle decoys on a rig similar to what you mentioned BUT I do not keep my Mallards and Blacks organized as you describe. Sounds like a great idea! I usually tie my lines off and when it is 32 degrees and you are rushing to get set-up in the morning this has not been the best part of my day. Over the off season I am going to make an "investment" in some quality rigging.

That "snap lock" warning continues to crack me up! I swear the manufacturers try to come up with a NEW idea every year just so people like us will spend more $$ on the latest and greatest. . . damn those salespeople at Cabelas they SUCK me in every year!

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting