Decoy Question

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Decoy Question

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:14 pm

Ok, I have been duck hunting for a number of years now and have several types of decoys (all from different manufacturers) and to tell you the truth I have been displeased with just about all of them. Either the paint chips after a year, they aren't realistic enough, or the line won't wrap well. . . there always appears to be something I just don't like. So, anyway what I would like to know is what types of decoys does everyone use AND do they work well for you?

P.S. I do have to say that a friend of mine just picked up the Carrylite "Eider" decoys and they are awesome!
Last edited by duckmann on Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckmann
hunter

Postby redleg hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:18 pm

THEY ARE VERY HARD TO FIND BUT, I HAVE 2 DOZEN GEORGE SOULE CORK DECOYS FROM LL BEAN . BEEN IN MY FAMILY SINCE 1973 USED EVERY YEAR ALOT , JUST STARTING TO HAVE A LITTLE TOUBLE WITH DRY ROT ON THE HEADS, BUT NOTHING MAJOR.
redleg hunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:47 am

my preference is cork....I have my own of course, but also Been Coastals and a few Herters

I also have a large supply of foamers I make, some are burlapped....others coated with DriLok

I use alot of my own seaducks dekes....I have a few sleds, a few fullbodies and I have some of the Herters 72 series eider and scoter

Goose dekes are all plastics...GHG, CarryLite and Flambeau....my field decoys are mostly fulbodies (BF and CarryLites....although I have a few dozen shells too (CarryLite, Flambeau)

I still have quite a few plastic duck blocks too, for carry in hunts or when travelling....many are Flambeaus I bought over 20 years ago...all repainted in more relistic color schemes and colors...some are CarryLites.

I really like making my own decoys....I get alot of satisfaction hunting over my own set-up!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting