BLACK DUCKS

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

BLACK DUCKS

Postby redleg hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:23 pm

WHEN WILL THE STATE START ALLOWING US TO TAKE MORE THAN 1 BLACK IN THE SECOND SEASON???
redleg hunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:39 am

It sure would be nice to add another bird to the limit....there are so many days out there when I get one pull on the trigger....especially if marsh walking......I remember when the season was closed altogether on Blacks....then they finally went to one....here in ME this is the first yoer (I think) that we could take blacks on the first day....for a long time we had to wait till the second week or even season going back aways

I get frustrated becasue there are so many during the second season.....they appear to have mangaed the resource well and I think we deserve a change....and remember, up in PEI and other maritime provinces the limits are five!!! and they shoot till 1/2hour after sunset!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:48 am

It gets harder to find Mallards as the season progresses but blacks are in thick all winter.A two bird limit would be fine and the ducks would still be in good shape as far as I can tell.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Blacks

Postby duckmann » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:42 pm

How many time have I seen flocks of 8-10 Blacks circling the decoys off and on all day long. Really frustrating especially when you hear what those damn Canadians are able to get away with. :)

I guess you have to trust that the Feds and State biologists know what they are talking about. Hunting we only see a small ecosystem that exists in the state of Maine, to get the BIG picture requires a look at the national Black population. Look at the Wood duck success story I "believe" they were almost endangered in the 60s and now their numbers are holding strong.

What I have to remind myself is that if I practice control NOW my kids will someday also be able to hunt the black duck.
duckmann
hunter

Ducks Galore

Postby Wood-E » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:20 pm

Yes - I agree there does seem to be quite a lot of them around now. Wednesday I went scouting (Yes in the record rain fall.) working on a tip from a friend. On that day, just like he said while he was hunting, I say hundreds of blacks and honkers. It was great, I was so ready I beat my alarm clock the next day and was out and prepped long before light. I was going to limit out before 7AM and then head out for Honkers.

I hate the weather....

The next day was clear and beautiful. Unfortunately the only thing in the sky was the SUN!
It appears that sometime in the night the birds went south... After 9AM and only 1 Mallard drake and 3 Black flyby's I went hunting looking for them all over and not a single one could I find.
Did anyone else notice this occurance or was it just me that was so lucky after the beautiful downfall?

Anyway, good luck tomorrow if anyone else is on vacation.
Just the drakes everyone... Take Um...
Wood-E
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting