Any off season retriever tips?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Any off season retriever tips?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 am

hey guys, dixie and I had an alright year, she surprised me to the point of astonishment with some retrieves, than other times, i found myself slapping my forehead wondering how she missed the duck! just wondering what you guys do in the off season to sharpen your dogs skills? I saved some birds from this year, and need to get a new dummie due to the other dogs "play time", but let me know what you think
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Any off season retriever tips?

Postby case » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 pm

I will do drills on marking and work blinds/lining always tring to keep them doing something cause if the spend the rest of the year doing nothing they will be very rusty come september. I also raise pheasants and quail to keep them on real birds cause thats the best training tool.
case
hunter

Re: Any off season retriever tips?

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 am

Depends on the weather and the level of training you're at.
If there's not much snow, I'll continue with training sessions just like I would during spring/summer. Marking, blind drills, whatever the dog needs.
If the snow gets deep, stomp out lining drills, T drills, wagon wheel, in the snow. The dog will follow your path instead of plowing through the deep stuff making it easier to get your point across.
If ice and snow conditions allow I have had some success teaching blind concepts on frozen water and in the spring transitioning to water. On the ice, I'm running the dog over/past a point of land or maybe running parallel to the shore, whatever. Keep running this drill on ice and when spring comes, line them up and send them again, only this time into the water. I have had some great results teaching water blind concepts with this method.
This is the time of year to FF. I'm doing 3 dogs for clients right now.

That should keep you busy for the next few months.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting