looking to relocate

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

looking to relocate

Postby captmike69 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm

hey folks. i live in ct and am considering to relocate to maine. (thinking noreast area) im looking for an area inside an hour to the shore. as i am a very avid saltwater fisherman and captain. but im also looking for an are where there is game animals and grouse around close by. (if there is such an area) i would also likely try to get a job as a propane delivery driver. wouldnt like to travel much more than a half hour to work each day. anyone have any ideas input anything that might be helpful, would be greatly appreciated. i have never moved out of my general area so i have no clue how to go about this. thanks guys mike
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Re: looking to relocate

Postby I am A Redneck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Well I live in the midcoast are that pretty much has all you have asked for. If you are interested PM me and I will give you more info.
I am A Redneck
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 am

I lived in Glastonbury, CT once but spent most of my life in Maine, its the best place in the world. Been heaps of different places and Maine is where its at, I live in the greater Portland area and its got a lot to offer, little to no grouse hunting though. Gorham has a bunch of pheasant release sites, there is one in my parents back yard right now that survived the hunting season, but I've never seen any grouse around here, I know there used to be though...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:45 pm

thanks guys. ya i have had enough of this state! i love maine. we have a hunting cabin outside of jackman that we go up to every year for grouse and ducks. what an amazing difference! around here, just about everyone is miserable, cranky, in a hurry, unhelpful, everything is super expensive. i cant take it anymore. i need out. and i think maine is my answer. im heading to allagash at the end of april to do some shed hunting. gotta convince the girl. gonna do some looking around on the ride back. around the bar harbor general area.
captmike69
hunter

Postby Hutch » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Capt-

I have lived 52 years here in maine and I have some advice:

DO what you want, but know what it is like here. Today in the national press there is a story about Maine's population on welfare- it is 20%. WE have a profoundly liberal government, and many of the old time Yankees are long gone and forgotten. SOuthern Maine is Mass/North. Deer populations are down so much Doe permits are exceptionally limited anywhere north of Bangor. Your list of bagged games is FAR bigger than what you will get here for deer. Jobs here are at a premium- and the largest employers are in Portland or Bath. The paper industry is almost dead- which leads to a failure in the wood yards. We have a high state income tax of 8.2% starting at $10K----which means we tax the poor-alot. We have a 5% sales tax, and a 7% sin tax...and excise taxes are forever here( I think of them as success taxes- if you buy a boat, you will pay FOREVER to register it)....we pay taxes on STICKER price here, not on what you actually pay. Figure if you buy a boat/or truck that you need to add 10% for sales/excise taxes. The education of kids is good here, with about 90% literacy/graduations at the better schools-----and 61% at the poorer schools. There is a huge)and growing) anti-gun population on the coast and in SOuthern Maine. The 2 Congressional Reps have a combined I.Q. of 57...but a 100% rating as tax and spend liberals.

Our Governor has room in his mouth for 17 feet...as he puts many feet in his mouth each month. We are clannish and crude, WE are anti-"from away", until we know you and disprove that you are just another know-it-all flatlander. The fishing is poor, but better than most states, and the p"tridge hunting is near a peak year this year. Woodcock numbers are down, there are few Mallards, but many Blacks( of which you can shoot 1), eider numbers have crashed in the Midcoast area- but merganzers abound.
The new coastal zone is STELLAR and adds much to hunting. A NICE house in northern Maine is cheaper than a shack in Rhode Island...(Typically $100K will buy a decent house). Gas is expensive as we are at the end of the string. Property taxes are $3K for my 5acres and house. We average less than 20 murders per year, but we steal it if it isn't protected. Everyone has guns...unless you live near Portland. Dogs are family members and cats are considered a poor mischance, or the wife's cost of living with you. We drink. A LOT....but cheap booze. Learn what ass in a glass is, and beware any woman who likes it. (because she will want to marry you) We still have Hippies. Cars need inspection, but many fail it and still seem to be on the road. Going to camp is a consistent weekend plan. Fiddleheads give you the trots, and black flies are somewhat an irritant...or make you want to kill someone for about 6 weeks each spring. Mud season is a SEASON, and not a joke.

People here will give you a shirt, share a beer, let you TAKE their truck is you need a tow and if you are stuck (and Wheel of Fortune is on)...[had it happen}. Dry humor, and an subtle level of knowledge that we prefer to be underestimated about.

Good luck- as 90% of us heat with oil. and wood...

Come on up- we need some more tax payers- and hunters....

Hutch
Hutch
hunter

Postby cfinch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 am

hey Mike i live in CT too and i feel ya about this s*%!hole. i have been looking at land and cant wait to get out of here. the gf will be done with her nursing school next july, and seeing as i dont have a "real" job (im a seasonal for the inland fisheries)moving is easy.

i love maine and any state is better than here, but i have heard it from other people from maine that Hutch speaks the truth.

the problem is that we are running out of conservative states in the north, upstate NY is nice too but with all these gun laws passing why would i move there. i like winter and have seen awesome jobs for privatized fisheries agencies down south, but i cant take the heat.

good luck on the move, maybe ill see you up in maine
cfinch
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Holy crap Hutch!!

I love it here and the fishing is getting better, the rabbits are getting better, the partridge are touch and go. Deer down, bear up, moose the same. Duck numbers good where I hunt. Best Bass fishing in New England. There is much to be happy about here. The amount of liberals in this state and the lack of job opportunity aren't some of them but I wouldn't live anywhere else......OK maybe Alaska, or Idaho, or Wyoming, Or LOL
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 am

Just be sure to leave all your dope, crime, hoodlum kids and flatlander attitudes at home. We have enough of those from people that moved here from Mass. :lol3:
cjg
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I agree so much!!!!!!!!!!
I am A Redneck
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 pm

wow hutch, thanks for all that info. i really appreciate it. im just so tired of the crap around here!
captmike69
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:42 pm

so now the show PREPPERS is not so funny any more ??--get up here buy a hill top with a long field of view ( range ) 360 degrees..a long open private road..many fresh water sources...and well build your dream nest ( bunker )..be self succefient..wind mills . solar , water power..brew so fuel..garden and stockpile..what ever comes to mind..-refere to my pm..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby native brookie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 am

Jeez, Hutch, are the shack nasties that bad over in Vassalboro?

Ice out is coming and we'll be fishing soon!
native brookie
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting