LD 800

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

LD 800

Postby sprig » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 am

Any thoughts on this? Interesting for sure.
sprig
hunter

Re: LD 800

Postby bkmaine » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:22 am

I don't want hunting on Sundays in general (section 1) and what exactly does section 2 mean? I read it to mean that you could hunt waterfowl only on Sundays after the two week break in the Coastal Zone, so you could hunt Sundays in November, December and 1st week in January...?

btw here is a link for anyone who's unsure of what this says: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/b ... 055101.asp
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm mixed. While closed Sunday hunting does limit opportunities for some people as well as have a negative economic impact (I imagine people would book a lodge that they could hunt Sat and Sun in another state if they had limited options) it may have benefits. I wonder about the pressure on the animals. One, does the day off essentially act as a bit of respite, especially in the more populated areas? What affect would this have on the population? Secondly, the day off helps make sure areas get at least a day of rest and hopefully birds will come back in. Just my thoughts.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 pm

I'd love to hunt on sundays, or just allow for waterfowling on sundays. But my wife's family owns almost 400 acres and they don't have it posted. If there were hunting on Sundays, more out of staters would make their way up here for the weekend and the farm would have guns firing 7 days a week during hunting seasons. I think one day off per week is nice for land owners, maybe it doesn't have to be Sunday though...

Also, I heard someone say that there are only so many legally huntable days in a season, so adding Sundays would be adding about 12-15 days over the course of waterfowl season, therefore shortening the season by about two weeks...? is that true or am I spreading rumors? My best days were in the last few weeks this season
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby RedDog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:20 am

bkmaine wrote:Also, I heard someone say that there are only so many legally huntable days in a season, so adding Sundays would be adding about 12-15 days over the course of waterfowl season, therefore shortening the season by about two weeks...? is that true or am I spreading rumors? My best days were in the last few weeks this season

The Feds say we get 60 days to hunt (regular) ducks. The State can divvy them up how they want (zones, splits, etc.). So, with no sunday hunting, every zone gets 10 weeks to hunt. With sunday hunting it would be just over 8 weeks.
RedDog
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 am

RedDog wrote:
bkmaine wrote:Also, I heard someone say that there are only so many legally huntable days in a season, so adding Sundays would be adding about 12-15 days over the course of waterfowl season, therefore shortening the season by about two weeks...? is that true or am I spreading rumors? My best days were in the last few weeks this season

The Feds say we get 60 days to hunt (regular) ducks. The State can divvy them up how they want (zones, splits, etc.). So, with no sunday hunting, every zone gets 10 weeks to hunt. With sunday hunting it would be just over 8 weeks.

You raise a GREAT point! The overall length of the season would be shortened as there is a restriction in hunting DAYS.

IMHO the season ends WAYYY too early as it is. The North closer in mid November... no thanks.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 am

NO Thanks!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Hmmmm...this is not how I learned how season days were counted. I was under the impression that dates were counted ALL Days from start day to end day-including sundays- until a split was over. So, if this is untrue- then sunday hunts would hurt our season....but if we ALREADY count sundays as days(even if Maine can not Hunt them) then this would be a GAIN for me and most duck hunters.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

No. They currently do not count Sundays... As they are not hunting days.

Allowing hunting on Sundays would shorten the overall length.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby RedDog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Hutch25 wrote:Hmmmm...this is not how I learned how season days were counted. I was under the impression that dates were counted ALL Days from start day to end day-including sundays- until a split was over. So, if this is untrue- then sunday hunts would hurt our season.

Yes, how you learned is untrue.
RedDog
hunter

Postby maineducker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:59 am

I'm not in favor of Sunday hunting either. Simply because it's the only thing letting the waterfowl season run later. Plus, it forces me to take a day off during the season!!!! :biggrin:
maineducker
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I am for Sunday hunting and would love it!!! I work and only get one day a week to hunt unless I use vacation time. Worried about a shorter season close Wednesday to hunting and let all the working people have two days a week to hunt.
2012-2013 Season
4 Geese
1 Hen Mallards
3 Drake Mallard
5 Drake Woodie
4 Hen Woodie
7 Hen Common Merganser
8 Blacks
2 Ringneck
2 Hen Hooded Mergansers
2 Drake Hooded Merganser
0 drake Green Wing Teal
1 Hen Scoter
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 pm

K.I. Joe wrote:Worried about a shorter season close Wednesday to hunting and let all the working people have two days a week to hunt.

sensible position
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 am

733SubDucker wrote:
K.I. Joe wrote:Worried about a shorter season close Wednesday to hunting and let all the working people have two days a week to hunt.

sensible position

I would sooner support this than open season 7 days per week.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby sprig » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 am

I knew this would stir the pot! Instead of adding sundays, make the season go until the middle of January. Shuffle the early coastal zone dates.(Please note our resident waterfowl council.)
sprig
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Would much rather have later season dates then Sunday hunting!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby Robk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 pm

I'd rather have the sunday hunting. my job requires that I work every saturday and have sunday's off by law(can't be open on sundays in my line of work). It would double the number of hunting days i get and I'd be able to take my daughters out with me and that's more important to me than two extra weeks that only give me 2 days to hunt.
Robk
hunter

Postby baydog44 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Sorry but I don't understand many of the comments. The framework for the season is set by the USFWS---they set the number of days, earliest date it can start, latest date it can stay open, the limit, etc. The states pick their season that has to fit within that framework---when the season ends, whether their is Sunday hunting/Wednesday hunting, any splits, special closed days, etc. are set by the states as long as they fit within the federal guideline. If Sunday hunting was allowed why would that cause closing on Wednesday or shorten the season? Each flyway has a set number of days and a bag limit that each state has to work with---my guess is that your opinions need to be expressed to your game and fish commissioners---may be wrong!!!
baydog44
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss.

In basic terms, our restriction on Sunday hunting means we use 6 days per week. The feds allow 60 total hunting days under the liberal framework. That means we get to hunt 60 days over a period of 10 weeks. If we hunted 7 days per week, we would hunt 60 days over a period slightly longer than 8 weeks. Splits are simply a break in that equation.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 am

Think about it boys ?? how in the hell will you find time go hunting on Sundays in the first place -I don't know about your place -but me it's the only day besides working I , make the old lady breakfast in bed -let her sleep till noon, and bring her the sunday paper..as she sits in the lazy -boy feet up watching football reviews..and games all day, by this time I have the kids feed , showered , dressed laundry washed folded and put away been to church prepared a 7 course dinner -ready for 5pm. fed the kids lunch..giving them nap time for the triplets..cleaned the kennel and the garage, loaded the car for the dump for Monday,. laid out the kids school clothes..washed Momma's Truck-she has to work too..Made to beds with fresh linen.Ran the cleaner,mopped the floors.Well you know what I mean !!--maybe i'll get out for an hour ??--Yes, dear we have more Beer !!
decoycarver
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 pm

I hunt Sundays during the season all the time.
New Hampshire hunting license is a very nice thing indeed.

The locals don't mind the money they make off of non residents hunting in the Granite state as well.

Seeing as I work 6 days a week Sunday hunting in Maine,regardless of how it affects the season length,would give me far more opportunities.
Ultimately I doubt Sunday hunting will happen here in Maine,its been proposed every which way possible in the past and failed.
Just the way it is.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby baydog44 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm

The federal guidelines for the 2012-2013 season is for 60 days between September 22 2012 to January 27, 2013 for a span of 17 weeks allowing each state to choose it's dates. I don't see how Sunday hunting would shorten or lenghten the season.
baydog44
hunter

Postby baydog44 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Arkansas has one to two breaks in the season every year, hunts Sunday and gets a full 60 days to hunt. Help me---what am I missing??

Thanks
baydog44
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm

pm sent
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:07 am

You're not missing anything, you're adding breaks to make up for the additional hunting days per week by adding Sundays- therefore "shortening" the season by the number of weeks in the added breaks... right now in Maine that would most likely mean closing the season earlier starting later as we already have breaks.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Next

Return to Maine Duck Hunting