Now I know we all duck hunt. . . BUT

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Now I know we all duck hunt. . . BUT

Postby duckmann » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:40 am

I realize that we all love the sport of duck hunting BUT what do you guys do in the off season to keep your reflexes sharp? Anyone crow or turkey hunt or skeet shoot?
Last edited by duckmann on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:31 am

last year I started making decoys and a small boat....will continue that theme this spring....already planning a foam core fiberglass boat similar in design to a mallard....I also built a boat blind and a coffin.....painted boats even though they didn'y need it.....restrung all the decoys.....touched up some decoy paint here-n-there... made some new watefowling friends (like DogMan!)....worked ont he outboards so they are in good working order.....bought a new OU.....and alot of other menial tasks associated with waterfowling

Seem to never really touch the guns though other than regular wipe downs....although I used to shoot alot of skeet and spend hours at the bench reloading.

doa a bit of trout fishing in streams primarily, take the wife out a few times for white perch or other panfish.....get out a few times for stripers....and provide tender loving care to the carpet of lawn

I certainly keep busy!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:55 am

DUKHTR,do you ever slow down?I get tired just reading about the projects you do!Man I feel old!!! :toofunny:
For myself,after duckseason ends I bore holes in ice and try catch some fish.I got a nice 10 " jiffy auger for a song :smile: Spring means open water fishing,trout,bass and some saltwater thrown in too.Skeet shooting is a nice way to spend an afternoon after work once a week in the nice weather.Between "honey do's"I find some time to work on boats and gear.This past fall I cobbled together a ground blind /cart and maybe this year coming up I'll build a better boat blind than I already have.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckmann » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:47 pm

Wow, after seeing the posts I feel REALLY lazy. . . ZZZzzzzzzz. :)

I think I will continue building eider silhouettes this off season so I can have an entire fleet of 12 before the start of next year. Have also been thinking about building 1 or 2 Y boards w/ old squaws or scooters.

Have got to also find some plans for building a new blind for the boat. Something light weight, portable and with the ability to adapt to grass, woodland, cattails, etc. Would like to use PVC and chicken wire again but am open to suggestions and ideas. . .

Have any of you been to Kennebec clays? I hear the have like 20 stations and you progress through them and shoot in different scenarios. . . sounds like fun.
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:59 pm

Duckman....I have made many sets of traditional sleds...if you need plans or a template (I have two designs), let me know.....her's an idea that has been very effective....when painting the sleds, vary the specie from inside and then again on the outside....for example, the last set I put together I painted scoter on the inside and eider on the outside...I was thinking about it, and think an even better method is to mix scoter and eider on the insides and the opposites on the outside...whadaya think?

It only takes me a few hours to complete a set of eight sleds (16 silos)...which I get from one 4'x8' sheet of luan....only other material is 1"x3" for the cross members. Will be glad to assist or send plans....I have in WORD through an e-mail....and the templates I can send via mail......If you have a template, I'd like to check it out.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Plans

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:16 pm

DUKHTR,

I hadn't thougt of your idea about mixing the species on the sleds. . . BUT that seems to be a very cool idea. I think I will experiment with creating a few this winter. Also, what do you use for plywood thickness? (1/2in, 3/4in, 1in) I am using scrap wood so mine are all mixed and I am currently experimenting which sleds will last the longest and be the most durable. . . relating of course to weight.

Yes, I would be really interested in any information you have on sled or Y board designs. I also found this site that has a ton of information on Y's:
http://www.partridgecreek.ca/Partridgec ... howto.html if you are interested.

I am at: duckmann@hotmail.com drop me your e-mail and I will be happy to send you my Eider template in Word format. Also, if anyone on the list has an oldsquaw pattern that would be great!?!?!
duckmann
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting