Blind side????

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Blind side????

Postby Twashburn24 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Thought about trying winchester blind side this season... Did anyone try them and did they work good???
Twashburn24
hunter

Re: Blind side????

Postby bkmaine » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 am

My brother just bought a box, he wants to give them a go this season. My only experience was with a friend who was shooting them. Had a green head come right into the decoys early one morning and he shot, bird didn't fall and then I shot and the bird fell dead (i'm not a great shot, the bird was just real close). Later when I was cuttin him up I found a hex shot pellet sitting in between the skin and the breast of the duck, just hangin out having made it through the feathers and skin but not into the breast. I thought the draw of it was penetration and knock down power, it did neither in this case. We had thought that he had missed that morning but upon taking the bird apart it turns out he didn't miss.

I'm lookin forward to tryin rem hypersonic this year
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby Twashburn24 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 am

I bought a case of black clouds for this season but I picked up a box of blind side to try out guess ill see this fall
Twashburn24
hunter

Postby Fowler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Some love it, some hate it. Seems like yet another gimmick load. No doubt it will kill ducks but so will run of the mill steel shot if you pattern your gun and take good shots.

That being said we did have hunters up last year that used it on eiders and they seemed to like it. I didn't see any greater ratio of dead ducks to rounds being fired but I don't know how they normally shoot either.
Fowler
hunter

Postby Twashburn24 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Well my father in-law says if you put the bird in the kill zone they'll all kill but he uses black cloud and swears by them so I thought I'd give them a try i used winchester xperts last year I did ok with them got a new shot gun for this year so it's time for checking patterns testing loads and shooting skeet
Twashburn24
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 pm

I shot a box of black clouds this year, they were nice. But if you hit them up top they're always goin down hard. When I look at all the premier loads I like the looks of hypersonic. Speed matters, its math, the shape of the pellets is more subjective and hard to put a measurement on...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 pm

I've patterned and shot Black Cloud, Blindside, and Hypersonic. If I had to shoot one of those three, it would be Black Cloud. Wasn't impressed with Blindside in the field or the patterning board. Hypersonic didn't pattern well and the recoil was significantly harder. Hope you aren't shooting a pump.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 pm

870 express baby... Thanks for the heads up but I'll learn the hard way
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Can't remember if I tried the Hypersonics in my 870 or not. I know I tried them in my SX2 and they still kicked hard. Good luck with the them. :thumbsup:
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby brownduck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 am

I tried a few boxes of these last fall. My thoughts: go buy some Federal blue box. For the money, there isn't much better out there. I've shot black cloud, hypersonic, and blind side, but none of them were that much better that the extra expense was worthwhile in my mind. I shoot either a pump or an autoloader, and the results were the same.
brownduck
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm

try as many as you can, pattern your gun. that will tell you which to use
BMowatt
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting