Duck ID

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Duck ID

Postby MaineHunter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am

So Saturday at my work I was out checking the treatment ponds that we have which are usually loaded with ducks. The happened to be only one in the pond at the time and it looked very unusual to me.. I still have yet to be able to ID it yet by searching online. Called my father to come check the bird out and he didn't have a clue either.. Ill give my best description.

Head/neck: black (almost a purple iridescence look to it too)
Bill: black
Body: mostly all white with black on the top of its back and black around the tail end. Brown on the wings, tail was white/black
Feet: orange
About the size of a mallard. But was odd, I'm pretty sure it was its wings they way they folded up on the body they seemed real lone and almost gave it the look like it has a pintail style tail..

Like I said I have yet to come across any pics of one like it online... These treatment ponds are about 60 yards from a major river. The bird never made a peep when it flew off. Too far away to get a pic.
MaineHunter
hunter

Re: Duck ID

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:46 am

very difficult given the info and no pic.

The only duck I know with a black bill and orange feet about the size of a Mallard... is a drake Gadwal. They have quite a bit of purple irridecence in the head as well.

If the lighting was right, alot of the greys and brown shades could appear darker.

I have shot a number of "grey ducks" in the midwest, but not in Maine, although they are an infrequent visitor.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 am

I've never seen anything like it and can't come up with a picture online that even resembles one like it. Not a gadwall as this bird was predominantly white with black and brown, no gray.. If I see it around again ill snap a picture!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 am

yeah. the black bill / orange legs combination is the tricky part. Not many ducks around these parts with a black bill...

Otherwise, with a blue bill (disregarding legs) it could likely be a Scaup or Ring Neck.

Weird.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 pm

look up Muscovy ducks-domestic, non-speaking -they UG-LEY-they will breed with wild species like Peking ducks . someone's pet or escapee..kill it or grill it -tough choice ? check it out first farmers near by private ponds with pet ducks..
decoycarver
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I have yet to see the bird back. The only water source nearby is the river. No farm ponds around.. But very well could've traveled for sure!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:11 pm

So I happened to come across a picture of a northern shoveler drake.. Looks pretty dang close to what I remember seeing although I don't remember it having a shoveler type bill.... What are the chances those are in this area??
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:27 pm

shovelers , like most other species of waterfowl stray off course,black ducks have been taken far west and Texas..If it has wings--I observed a Spoon billed Ibis in MMB 10 years ago, called the Times record-they didn't care !--guess it was here on vacation -heard how great the sea-food is ?? Keep observing -great practice.
decoycarver
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 pm

So I know this is a year old, but just figured I would update and say last Friday I saw what I am guessing to be the same drake northern shovelor in the same pond at work! Funny thing is it's almost exactly a year to the day as it was last year when I saw one in the same pond so it leads me to believe it's the same bird... Interesting!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 am

Pretty cool huh? The nice thing about observing fowl in the spring is that most drakes are still wearing their "bright coats". I haven't seen any Shovelers yet this spring, but usually do every September- not as vibrant then though. Enjoy your guest!
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting