Scouting tips

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Scouting tips

Postby Tuckdog » Sun May 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Assuming the season ill begin late September, when is it a goood time to get real helpful data by scouting? I've been by a pond tWice in the last few weeks. first time saw several flocks OF MALLARDS in varying spots. Next time saw no ducks but several geese (in the evening, just befoore dark. The seasons still 4-5 months away....is there any chance these recent sitings will mean anythiing come SSEPTTEMBER?
Tuckdog
Newb

Re: Scouting tips

Postby bkmaine » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 am

I posted this same question last year. No matter what you see now or soon, you'll need to check again and make sure in September. I have a handful of spots that I monitor whenever I get the chance, but come September I will check them all more thoroughly. MORE importantly is to scout before EVERY time you go out. For the most part I only hunt on Saturdays and school holidays (I'm a teacher), so I try to scout at least one afternoon per week (always Friday and then maybe an additional day earlier on in the week). Any midweek afternoon hunts that I get in I count mostly as scouting trips getting ready for the weekend to take my dad and brother out. Last year I thought I had found a good wood duck spot and a good goose spot last April/May, come fall there was no one there...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Tue May 07, 2013 6:19 am

Welcome to the forum Tuckdog! Good advice given above in answer to your question. I "scout" year round for sure. A lot of my work has me traveling outdoors state wide...so that definitely helps! I mark spots either by GPS or mentally that I plan on keeping an eye on. Some of these may have fowl in them, but many just look "ducky" and be in a good area. I don't get real serious on the goose scouting until the last week of August- just before the opener. Geese are fickle critters sometimes and can throw you for a loop with field preferences and comfort levels.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Tue May 07, 2013 6:29 am

I also look for "ducky" spots year round, but a lot of my scouting has to do with access. I look for places that are easy to launch a canoe and don't require a long paddle or places where we can walk from the car in less than 5 minutes (I go with my dad and my bro and convenience is big for them). Also, I keep track of everything on Google Maps... I mark areas that I need to scout or want to scout further and put notes in them, places where i've hunted I mark with an icon that corresponds to the type of access (car, canoe, hike, etc). I like this because you can access your scouting data from any internet connection, even smartphone and it helps us decide where to go when we're all at work and communicating by email during the week.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby Tuckdog » Sat May 11, 2013 1:16 pm

thanks much for the input all. sounds like late season fishing will be taking on added purpose!!
Tuckdog
Newb

Postby hobbsj » Sat May 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Mix your scouting with fishing. I came upon one spot b/c I went fishing there for bass. i didn't think it was good duck water, but I've been seeing ducks there lately and I saw a good number there last summer . I couldn't scout there last year right before the season as I was in the magical land of Fort Sill Oklahoma becoming intimate with the front-lean-and-rest. But, turns out that it was good water when other spots were taken. Would never have seen them if it wasn't for the bass. That being said, I scouted a place in March with lots of ducks that was dead quiet come hunting season. But at least I had a good time scouting.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting