Sat AM Report

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Sat AM Report

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:00 pm

Got out this morning ont he NH/ME border out of Elliot......had some action, but not early as I had anticipated....a fw mallards around, and some Canadas, but there were ALOT of blacks....one flock was approx. 40 birds!

No geese would come in....and I had about three doz blocks out, plus a couple dozen mallard/black dekes. One single worked the rig for about ten minutes but settled down in the channel about 50 yards short of me. I felt better though, when even his calling was 'ignored' by two passing flights.

Just made it out of there...the tide was falling and I stretched that 'extra' 15 minutes....had to slog through that slimy gumbo picking up....decoys got pretty muddy in the hurry, so I'll be washing them tomorrow. Got the boat out just in time, as another 15 minutes would have left the ramp as mud!

Hope you all did as well!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddleduck » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:34 pm

Had a pretty decent morning. We worked in a pair of Mallards shot both of them and then a Pair of Drake mallards and shot both of those also. Shot at 4 ducks total and killed 4 ducks. Then this afternoon we hunted a large flooded field close to 200 birds were using ( all mallards and blacks). We jumped the birds up when we got their then set up. 10 minutes later the birds started coming back in small groups would work the decoys a bit then land in the middle of the field about 100 to 150 yards from our spread. We probably could of shot a few birds but did not want to shoot at 50yds. We did end up shooting 1 greenhead but that was it. not to good considering the amount of birds we had around us. But thats hunting I guess?. All in All not a bad day 4 greenheads and 1 Hen
puddleduck
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:34 am

puddle....you need a coffin blind!!! I made a very easy to build coffin last spring....floats watertight in about 4" of water...with about 6" of profile above the water line.....fully grassed and with flip wings puts you totally out of sight......in essence, it is a mini jonboat...built with 1x2 ribs rabbit jointed, luan and fiberglassed....the fiberglass was the most expensive material cost and the most time

glad you had a good outing....that field is soooo cool to have....wish I had one that was 'huntable.....there is a hay lot down the road from me that holds about 60 birds each day after the recent rains (mallrds and blacks) but the farmer is not too keen on me hunting it due to the proximity to the road....(although I know where the birds 'roost' on a stream and get some pretty good afternoon shoots)
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby redleg hunter » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:32 am

ONE OF THE WORST DAYS OF DUCKING IN DEC. I HAVE EVER SEEN . VERY FEW BIRDS FOR THE OCEAN ITHOUGHT. SEEN MORE GEESE THAN ANY THING . MOST OF THE DUCKS WERE SITTING NOT MOVING . EVEN FIRST LIGHT WAS SLOW. NEED COLD WEATHER , I WAS IN A T SHIRT THURS.
redleg hunter
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:10 pm

Cold weather is in the works for tonight and into the beginning of the week,just what we need.I got mon and tue off which makes it all the better. :mrgreen:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Saturday

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:52 pm

Was down around Brooklin on Saturday and had really terrible luck. Morning temps were chilly but appearently not enough to really get the birds moving. Saw several flocks of Golden Eyes that flew by in the stratosphere and many groups of (10-15) Oldsquaw that floated by the decoys at 60-70 yards. We proceeded to not even fire a shot in 5 hours so were completely SKUNKED!

The boys out on the HUGE ocean rigs were pounding the birds (Eiders I would guess) further out in the ocean off the outer islands. I bet I counted over a 100 shots in less than an hour. . . it was VERY disappointing considering our situation.

I checked my calendar and found that we had the BEST luck in the inner bays last year during the week of December 20th so I guess it is still a little early for the Eiders. Plan to hit the location again this weekend so will keep the list posted.

DuckMann

P.S. RL would be curious to hear where you were hunting as it seems we both had similar luck. . .
duckmann
hunter

Postby redleg hunter » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:52 pm

DM: I HUNT ON CASCO BAY . A GUY I KNOW HAS SOME PRETTY NICE RENTAL HOUSES ON THE WATER HE GAVE ME PERMISSION TO HUNT THERE, ITS USUALLY A SURE SHOT SPOT BUT CAME OUT OF THERE WITH NOTHING. NEVER DONE THAT , HAD AFEW BUFFLEHEADS COME IN AND I HELD OFF TO LET MY 10 YEAR OLD STEPSON TO GET SOME SHOOTING IN DIDNT GET NOTHING BUT HE HAD FUN.
redleg hunter
hunter

Misery LOVES Company

Postby duckmann » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:47 am

RL,

I have to tell you that I was "encouraged" to hear that you were at a "SWEET" spot and encountered a similar experience to what we saw in the eastern part of the state. Not to say that misery loves company BUT it certainly does make it hurt a little less. . . :)

Glad to hear that the little fella at least got to get his gun off. . . it is so great to hear that (at least a few) kids are still interested in the sport of hunting. Was watching DU on OLN last night and they put up some statistic about the number of duck hunters in the 70s compared to NOW it was in the neighborhood of 60% decrease. . . sad.

DuckMann
duckmann
hunter

Postby redleg hunter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:50 pm

DM I HOPE NEXT SAT. IS MORE PRODUCTIVE, I HOPE TO TAKE FRI. AM OFF FROM WORK AND GO TO. HOPEFULLY THE LITTLE GUY WILL DROP SOMETHING ON A GOOD CLEAN KILL, SO HE KEEPS HIS INTEREST. MY WIFE HAS KILLED A FEW BIG BLACKS PAST FEW YEARS, AND SEEMS TO ENJOY HUNTING , IN OUR BUSY BUSY LIVES SOMETIMES ITS THE ONLY TIME WE GET TO SPEND THE DAY TOGETHER AND HAVE FUN, THATS IF SHE WOULD STOP STEPPING OVER HER HIP WADERS HAHAHA.
redleg hunter
hunter

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:26 am

RL,

Drop a line if you hit the ocean on Friday. . . I am curious to see if the Eiders have decided to begin moving in closer to shore. Great to hear that your whole family hunts. . . isn't their a saying that goes something like the family that PLAYS together STAYS together! My Father, Brother and I have always hunted and trapped together and they are by far my favorite hunting buddies.

If your wife is in the hip waders can I infer that she is the one that goes after the retrieves? :) Man, you DO have her trained! :)

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby redleg hunter » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:22 pm

DM, SHE ONLY GETS THE ONES THE DOG MISSES!! I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I MAKE IT OUT FRIDAY MORNING.
redleg hunter
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting