Question from a S.Florida tourist

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Question from a S.Florida tourist

Postby Conch27 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 am

I have a seaduck hunt booked in early December around Rockport, and I have a question related to the variability in the weather and hunting apparel. I hunt down in the everglades and in the swamps down here and the temperature rarely dips below 50 degrees. What waders do you suggest I get so that I don't freeze my arse off? What do you guys wear to stay warm? I really do not know what to expect and I'd hate to overdo it but I sure as hell don't want to sell myself short.

Cheers :beer:
Conch27
hunter

Re: Question from a S.Florida tourist

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am

in your case... dress for the North Pole. :lol3:

layers are key, and ensure they are not too tight. Wear what waders are comfortable for you. 5mm neoprene are pretty standard although I love my 'breathables' because I can layer under them and not get cold / wet from sweat. loose layers are key. avoid cotton. try a wool blend sock, underarmour base layer long johns, with fleece wader pants over that under your waders.

Stay dry, stay warm. if you are handling gear your hands will get cold / wet unless you are wearing insulated rubber lobstermens gloves.

If you want to get something new, I know some guys that swear by those remote control battery powered boot warmers... they might be just right for you.

Hope you enjoy your time in Maine.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Conch27 wrote:What do you guys wear to stay warm?

Clothes usually help :clapping:

Joking of course. A Floridian coming to Maine in December?? That's an odd turn of events. When the really cold weather starts coming around I'll throw on a couple layers of Duofold long john's. They're made mostly of wool and are fairly loose but insulate very well. Over that I'll wear a sweatshirt and then a good wool fleece to top it all off. As for socks, whatever you do DON'T wear more than two layers, a frostbitten mistake I made last year. Too many layers will constrict the feet and blood won't be able to move.

As SubDucker said, no cotton and he's not kidding about dressing for the North Pole. Be prepared for the possibility of -10 and lower below zero temps.

Hopefully we Mainer's will make this a great experience for you and it's a MUST that you post pics on here of your outing :thumbsup:
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate them. Sometimes you just can't put a price on experience and regarding comfort I know you guys have tried it all.

ps I will be posting pics :thumbsup:
Conch27
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 am

Cabelas 1600 gram thinsulate feet and 5 mil neoprene lwill handle everything. Better too warm than too cold. I don't break out my 1600s til I have to and you can bet with blood as thin as Floridas, you'll want them before I will!

On top, I dress in several layers of underarmor and polypro. I top the lower layers with a vest so I get warmth without binding up my arm swing too much. Top off the layers with a good waterproof free swinging jacket.

You can never have enough clothes with you when going out on the salt. I always pack a bunch of the heater packs to keep my hands warm in my pockets and I usually put some under my toes in the waders just to make sure I'm warm.

I've hunted bluebird days in the hi 30's in January but thats pretty rare. December can be worse than January some time.
Keep in mind, there is no place within 60 miles of Rockland to buy any decent hunting apparell. The nearest thing with any selection at all is LL Bean in Freeport or Cabelas in Scarborough! You either bring it along, Borrow it or go cold

The plus side! There are no alligators up here to eat your retreiver!!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby bandedbrother » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Several pairs of extra gloves, hand and feet disposable warmest work well, the cabelas 1600 gram have a hanging pocket built it for hand Warner's too. 1200 gram waders will work, the new cabelas one strap waders look pretty cool but have never tried them, maybe a new forum? A life vest that fits over all your layers as well. Waders and the ocean can be dangerous if you don't pay attention. Hamiltons marine in Rockland should have the lobsterman gloves with are cheap. Similar to the insulated poly dipped decoy gloves cabelas sells.
Wack em and Stack em!
bandedbrother
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the replys. I will be probably shooting for the 1600s ( just need to wait for them to go on sale). I knew the layering deal is a science so I've been taking note of ya'lls approach to layers. The apparel is turning out to be more expensive than the hunt :fingerhead:
Conch27
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 am

[quoteCabelas 1600 gram thinsulate feet and 5 mil neoprene lwill handle everything][/quote]

X2
I don't leave the launch without 3 pairs of gloves. Good luck.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Conch27 wrote:. The apparel is turning out to be more expensive than the hunt :fingerhead:

Waders are plain expensive, and there's no way around that. For the rest of your clothes, remember that you don't need any thing but your outer layers to be camoed--and for sea ducks, any darkish natural shade ought to work.

I'm a cheapskate and find a lot of very functional hunting clothes through discount sites like Sierra Trading Post or even from GoodWill. That XXL neon green fleece jacket may look stupid worn alone, but under a nice camo parka it's just as warm as anything you can buy.

Note the comments above about gloves. Multiple pairs, and one pair should be the ones lobstermen and other commercial fishermen use in winter.

You're also going to want a big insulated hat and an insulated face mask.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:25 pm

native brookie wrote:
Conch27 wrote:. The apparel is turning out to be more expensive than the hunt :fingerhead:

Waders are plain expensive, and there's no way around that. For the rest of your clothes, remember that you don't need any thing but your outer layers to be camoed--and for sea ducks, any darkish natural shade ought to work.

I'm a cheapskate and find a lot of very functional hunting clothes through discount sites like Sierra Trading Post or even from GoodWill. That XXL neon green fleece jacket may look stupid worn alone, but under a nice camo parka it's just as warm as anything you can buy.

Note the comments above about gloves. Multiple pairs, and one pair should be the ones lobstermen and other commercial fishermen use in winter.

You're also going to want a big insulated hat and an insulated face mask.

Thanks, I have added to my amazon wish list.

I'm thinking a Bomber hat should keep me warm. I'll have to get multiples of gloves
Conch27
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting