Mudding up a layout blind?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Mudding up a layout blind?

Postby Huntswithashorthair » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 am

I bought a nice used layout a couple weeks ago and have heard guys talking about "mudding them up."

I have hunted out of layouts before that had brush/grass/corn weaved through them and those blinds were never mudded up.

Anyone have some input one way or another?
Huntswithashorthair
hunter

Re: Mudding up a layout blind?

Postby maineducker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm

I spray new blinds with a light coating of Krylon brownish camo spray paint. Works way better than mud and won't wash off. Of course it get brushed up every hunt as well.
maineducker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:11 pm

ducker is right on. I've done that on my last couple blinds. All you are doing is adding enough to take the shine off the new fabric to create a base for all the local veg you will cover it with.

Funny 'mudding story'. One time I took a first year field hunter to a corn field with a fresh new blind. I brought a gallon of water, a shovel, brush, and five gallon bucket. I mixed up a slurry of the local dirt and brushed it onto the blind all in the dark mind you. BUT, rather than absorbing and drying.... the blind froze into one giant mud popsicle!!! :lol3: Worked great until it thawed out and then needed to dry again. The geese didn't mind though... :wink:
Last edited by 733SubDucker on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Go the spray paint route. Works great.
BMowatt
hunter

Postby bandedbrother » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm

I agree, have done both and the spray paint is much faster and cleaner. I did the same to me 18' boat blind. I recommend flat black and OD green. Flat black is .97 cents at "the wall Mart" too!
Wack em and Stack em!
bandedbrother
hunter

Postby Huntswithashorthair » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks guys. Paint it is.
Huntswithashorthair
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:27 pm

What they all said! I used to mud them and there's nothing worse than hunting in the rain and having the mud run into your eyes!! That sucks out loud!! Maineducker mentioned paint to me a couple years ago and it worked so much better than mud that it wasn't funny!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Mmmm... Cow poop mud.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I can't believe you guys...mudding up a layout blind is something everyone should experience at least a few times. :wink:
No, in all seriousness- I would say the most important thing about layout hunting is not (believe it or not) the "mudding up" or painting. As most of you on here know very well, utilizing local vegetation properly on your stubble straps is HUGE. This seems to become more and more important as the season progresses as well. Still, even early on, we spend an incredible amount of time in the fields at o-dark-thirty making the blind "disappear". Good luck and enjoy- layout blind hunting is as good as it gets in my opinion!
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting