semi permanent blinds

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

semi permanent blinds

Postby Robk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:16 am

How many have built a permanent/ semi-permanent blinds at your favorite spot? I paddle into my favorite spots by choice and a few of them are in such skinny water that all but an airboat would be useless to try and get to. thinking about pre-fabbing a couple blinds and carting the chunks out in the canoe and then assembling something on site. any ideas?
Robk
hunter

Re: semi permanent blinds

Postby R-Factor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Let us know how this goes Rob-sounds fun! I think I'd be more inclined to try something like that if I owned a big chunk of land surrounding a pond/bog. For me currently, it just wouldn't make sense- my hunting style is extremely mobile as I have a series of locations I work during the duck season and try to keep on top of them when big numbers push through. Keep us posted on your project.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby Robk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm

R,
I plan on hunting up in your neck of the woods this fall. I'm also a mobile hunter as I hunt out of my canoe and with my work schedule I'm usually gunning solo. I have an 14' old town pathfinder and most mornings I'm using it as a layout in a bog near the house. I have 3 solid spots that I never have any pressure on. one spot that I found last year doesn't have a house within a half mile and there was an old blind built there is nearly as old as I am. I'm taking two weeks off this fall to duck hunt provided that I or my two oldest daughters don't draw a doe tag. I really don't want to deer hunt by the girls have never taken a deer and 18 years of my adult life there I filled 6-8 deer tags a year and to tell the truth I don't get a rush out of deer hunting like I do a drake mallard coming in with the landing gear down. 30+ years of ducking and I still feel like I'm 10 again about to bust my first one. The Blinds would be for the 3-4 times a season that I'm calling for a new hunter.
Robk
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 am

I'm all about guys building blinds unless you're like the Jerks who built one out in the middle of the marsh in Clary Lake several years ago and positioned it to screw everyone else from hunting except them. There were several blinds along the shore evenly spaced and these dudes paddled out, drove poles in the middle of a 150 yard wide marsh and built a blind.

Also you should be prepared to find someone else in your blind if you're one of those guys who paddles in 5 minutes before legal!!

As far as you getting your canoe to spots that no one else can get too!! I could show you some where my mudboat will go that you'd never reach in your canoe without packing a lunch!!! :lol3:

Good luck hunting with the kids!! It's something that once you've started a tradition with them that you can do year after year when they are grown up!!
My boys duck hunt with me every year and I'm anxiously awaiting the time when my Grandson is old enough to come along!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Robk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 pm

wish I could swing a good flat bottom with a mud motor but momma needs a new vehicle. I'm usually enjoying my coffee at least an hour prior to legal light but where I hunt in georgia we're usually lined up in the river ready to cross into the rice fields at midnight. I don't have any problem if someone beats me to a blind so long as they leave it like they found it and take their empty shells and garbage with them.
Robk
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

Landowner Permission =any thoughts ?2)-expect them to be occupied or destroyed when you get there.-3)-Add small board with name ,Address and contact #.-4)--keep small trash bags so others will hopefully use it.--expect Trouble from -" fellow Sportsman( jealous, non -law abiding slob Hunters ).Good luck been there --never built again-first come first serve rule..advice Stay Mobile=good luck
decoycarver
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:28 pm

I've been seriously considering this for the past few years, and knowing that one spot i consistently hunt early season and have never found anyone else in or near the spot, i plan on putting a blind out there this week. I put one together last year out of 4 pallets, a few pieces or lattice, and a few screws. (The lattice makes it easier to shove sticks and grass into for better camo) two pallets in the front, and one on either side, but i may try to get mine done this week now that i think about it!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Great idea in theory but all it does is create conflict and gives away a other wise hidden hunting spot. All that work goes bye bye when u paddle out two hours early on opening day and someone has claimed your ish regardless the name and contact numbers. Did this a bunch as a teen. Never again
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Robk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Yeah, talked it over with my hunting partner here. Going to fashion a portable rig that I can set up once I paddle in. PVC, netting and zip ties should do the trick
Robk
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Unless you're setting up in open marsh or a field, you can probably find better natural cover in the field than PVC frame. It will be easier to carry, too.

A few deadfalls and a lightweight bit of camo cloth are pretty easy to arrange in a simple blind.
native brookie
hunter

Postby rerun » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 am

I've also tried the semi-permanent blind deal before and it only really works well on private property with limited access.....otherwise you'll be finding it trashed and occupied (giving away a good spot as others have suggested) the majority of the time. I've also tried the portable PVC idea....too much to deal with. Being mobile & flexible is what it's all about.....I carry some 6' landscapping stakes and some camo netting.....add some local vegatation and that's all one needs! Keep it simple!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." Henry David Thoreau
rerun
hunter

Postby yukoncornelius » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 am

Seaductor wrote:I'm all about guys building blinds unless you're like the Jerks who built one out in the middle of the marsh in Clary Lake several years ago and positioned it to screw everyone else from hunting except them. There were several blinds along the shore evenly spaced and these dudes paddled out, drove poles in the middle of a 150 yard wide marsh and built a blind.

Also you should be prepared to find someone else in your blind if you're one of those guys who paddles in 5 minutes before legal!!

As far as you getting your canoe to spots that no one else can get too!! I could show you some where my mudboat will go that you'd never reach in your canoe without packing a lunch!!! :lol3:

Good luck hunting with the kids!! It's something that once you've started a tradition with them that you can do year after year when they are grown up!!
My boys duck hunt with me every year and I'm anxiously awaiting the time when my Grandson is old enough to come along!

he couldn't shoot very well, and was not at all selective, either
yukoncornelius
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

90% of the guys who hunt my lake are the ones who roll in 5 minutes before shooting time, and the other 10% generally are the curtious ones that like to abide by the "first come first serve" rule, which i wish more would follow! But my permanent blind is only a 2 minute boat ride away, and i like to be there a while before light to enjoy my cup of coffee:)
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Smokum870 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:39 am

I believe if you remember correctly seaductor, you and I had a discussion about all the decoys they had left out and were miraculously gone the next weekend after "someone" tied them all together and strung them around all those poles driven into the mud. There was nothing more frustrating then watching birds be pulled to those deeks time and time again.
Duck Count:
Geese-2
Blacks-6
Mallards-5
Teal-12
Woodies-2
Scaup-3
Ringnecks-6
Smokum870
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Too bad that marsh is pretty well shot access wise! I hate the inconsiderate jerks who leave decoys out all season. I had a friend in California who painted one Guys decoys that were left out.
Pink mallards didn't pull worth a crap!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:30 am

Seaductor wrote:Too bad that marsh is pretty well shot access wise! I hate the inconsiderate jerks who leave decoys out all season. I had a friend in California who painted one Guys decoys that were left out.
Pink mallards didn't pull worth a crap!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

ive been tempted many times. think I should keep a can in my blind bag this year
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting