ATTN: central / midcoast hunters

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

ATTN: central / midcoast hunters

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 am

As some of you may know, I represent Androscoggin, Kennebec, and Sagadahoc counties on the Maine Waterfowl Council. Together with the rep covering Knox. Lincoln, and Waldo counties there will be a joint meeting in Phippsburg NEXT Tuesday evening, July 30th, at 7:00PM.

This is strictly an information gathering and feedback activity. We will not be making any proposals or policy at this meeting. :welcome: We are truly looking for all types of feedback concerning the current zone / season / bag limit structure and recent changes made.

What are your thoughts concerning: zones? dates? limits?

You do have an opportunity to make your voice heard AND to hear what other hunters are thinking. Please join us in Phippsburg next Tuesday evening. :hammer:
Last edited by 733SubDucker on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
733SubDucker
hunter

Re: ATTN: central / midcoast hunters

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 am

The meeting is at the Phippsburg Sportsman's Club at 272 Main Road.

See you there.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby sprig » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 am

Great idea Subby! Any Bios going to be there to hear what people have to say or just you waterfowl council guys.
sprig
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am

just us for now.

just an opportunity to be heard PRIOR to the August public forum. :biggrin:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm

This is a great idea. I'd be there, but I have a work conflict that night.

But in the future, can I suggest that a meeting in Bath, Brunswick, Topsham or Wiscasset is a hell of a lot easier to travel to than something in Phippsburg (or Pemaquid, George Town, Tenant's Harbor, etc.).

It's a long way out to the end of those peninsulas, and I think you'd be more likely to get good turnout at a more central location. (For this one, I'd be there with a plan to striper fish after the meeting . . . but I may be a special case. :smile: )
native brookie
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:43 am

Native,
I agree, we should do something closer to Augusta in the future.
We are meeting in Phippsburg because the other council member offered the space and coordinate with the sportsman's club.

Hopefully people can find a way to get there to talk ducks. :lol:

Of course you can always send me a PM with your thoughts.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Kudos to you 733 for taking the time to do this! :thumbsup:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby native brookie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Again this is a good idea, and thanks for doing it.

Augusta would be great for me personally--but I'd probably travel anywhere up to an hour to make this. Any where on the Turnpike/295 or Route 1 corridor would work.

I'm not opposed to Phippsburg--but a more central location would be better.

Doesn't matter for me this year anyway, as I can't come no matter what.

I haven't looked at the proposed regs in detail, but what I've seen so far looks pretty much like last year, which I thought was about right.

Love the late coastal season. Still wish we could monkey with season dates or the N/S zone line to get later season hunting in the Central Maine ag belt, but understand that's controversial and not everyone agrees.

Anybody see any changes--good or bad--in what's proposed this year?

Does anybody see any change
native brookie
hunter

Postby native brookie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 pm

I did remember one issue--this is a carry over from last year, and I suspect it needs federal approval to be fixed.

However . . . .

Would it be possible to change the definition of the "Coastal" zone so that it only applies to tidal waters? The one complaint I heard--and not from many people--about the new Coastal Zone last year was there are some freshwater duck spots east of Route 1 where those season dates really don't make sense. These are wood duck holes that freeze only and with the new season structure really aren't open much when ducks are present.

Could we make these areas part of the the south Zone, and have the coastal zone be "Tidal waters east of Route 1."

Better yet, make it all tidal waters, excluding Merrymeeting Bay and sections of other large rivers that have freshwater tidal sections. Make the line at the Verona bridge on the Penobscot and the Bath bridge on the Kennebec/Androscoggin, but open up some of the nice salt marsh spots on the back side of Route 1.

Just dreaming.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:04 am

It would be an enforcement nightmare to make it all tidal waters Nativebrookie. That's why Route one was established as the boundry. It may not be perfect for everyone but it makes sense and eliminates confusion.
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby native brookie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Seaductor, I've heard that. I heard it last year.

But I don't see why. We already enforce that line as a boundary for fishing--freshwater license needed above the line, not needed below it.

Every warden knows where it is. So do all of us who fish and hunt the coast.

Now, there may be some truth that it would be more complicated to include the tidal waters west of Route 1, but keeping the inland waters east of Route 1 in the South Zone would not be.

Does it make sense for Pemaquid Lake to be considered "coastal"? Anybody think it's getting a lot of attention after Christmas?
native brookie
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 am

REMINDER: Meeting is tomorrow evening at 7:00PM at the Phippsburg Sportsmans Club.

All are welcome. Make your voice heard. Share. Learn. Enjoy talking ducks with other hunters.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am

See you tonight. :smile:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Hey native brookie! Similar logic in reverse would question the wisdom of closing the north zone on Nov 30 just as the big ducks are starting to hit the inland rivers. Show up for the public hearing on Aug 14th and give your input! Hey I hear some guys want to eliminate the splits and close the seasons 2 or 3 weeks earlier. I think that's not in our best interest!! I hunt North, South and Coastal seasons. That gives me an extra 3 weeks of hunting.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Seaductor:

We agree on the big picture--adding the coastal zone is a huge improvement. And the later the better.

I'm just fussing around the edges to improve the good thing we've got.

I'll be there in the 14th if I don't have a work conflict.

How'd it go tonight?
native brookie
hunter

Postby sprig » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks to the waterfowl council members who put on the forum last night! Nice to meet new hunters and throw around ideas. Interesting things happening around the waterfowl world for sure. Thanks again. See you guys in August at the meeting.

Sprig
sprig
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting