SEASON DATES!!!??!!@@#$%

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

SEASON DATES!!!??!!@@#$%

Postby Robk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Wish they would lock in the dates sooner each year. Really want to start planning my vacations this fall...
Robk
hunter

Re: SEASON DATES!!!??!!@@#$%

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

The dates will be official as of August 14th when announced at the public hearing in Augusta.

I have proposed dates, and that is all.

REGULAR DUCKS

NZ: Sep 23 - Nov 30
SZ: Oct 1 - Oct 19, Nov 4 - Dec 23
CZ: Oct 1 - Oct 19, Nov 16 - Jan 4

Don't shoot the messenger...

If you have 'input', you can reply, PM, attend the meeting in Phippsburg on Tuesday or send a note to your waterfowl council member, Kelsey Sullivan, or Brad Allen.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for posting Sub
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby 682x » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:53 pm

I try to work 4 -10's giving me Friday and Saturday to hunt! Dates look Good.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Glad to see the north zone closing just at the ducks pour into Maineduckers Lap!!! 23rd is a real early start!! Should be some good blue wing shooting around!!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:36 pm

You know how I feel about the North Zone start. All I've asked for is for a FAIR system for both central and northern Maine.

The opener date system is as follows:

The Monday following the Saturday closest to the 24th.

This means that next year the opener will be on the 29th and then cycle back with the calendar each year.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby case » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Really wish they would do away with the spilts and move the south and coastal zone starts back 2-4 weeks.
case
hunter

Postby maineducker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Big steaming pile of BS on the north zone opener and closer yet again this year. I spent the final day of the north zone goose season last year with a 100+ mallards coming into the goose deeks. Nothing I could do about it either. No amount of input seems to matter. Not until there is an "Aroostook Zone" will you be able to please everyone.

I don't believe we have a fair way of setting season dates. If a small group of hunters makes a plea to the state for opening dates no one is able to hear about it until the regs meeting. There's no way to prep or get support for a counter so they have a good chance of getting their wish. Even if they're the minority of hunters. At least send out a proposal in July or something to give a heads up. Whatever, I've been fed up with the system for years and pretty much accepted it. I'll still hunt the dates but I don't have to like it! :biggrin:
maineducker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 am

case wrote:Really wish they would do away with the spilts and move the south and coastal zone starts back 2-4 weeks.

That change would be ridiculous in my book!! You must not like hunting in cold weather?? :lol3:

It's bad enough when all the ducks leave right after the opening week of first season and you're forced to scratch woodies til the split. The way it's been the past few years, we don't get another good push until after Thanksgiving.

I personally like hunting in 5 mil, 1600 gram waders and enough layers of clothing so you can't shoot effectively!! :lol3:
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby sprig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 am

Try hunting with that guy when it is cold!!!! :lol: I personally think the later the hunting the better it is. Especially the last 4 years. The ducks are coming at later times. I look back in my journal and you can see it happening. Maybe it is water, lack of it, too much, acorns etc. but it needs to get cold to push birds( ie. mallards) down through the flyways.
sprig
hunter

Postby maineducker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

sprig wrote:Try hunting with that guy when it is cold!!!! :lol: I personally think the later the hunting the better it is. Especially the last 4 years. The ducks are coming at later times. I look back in my journal and you can see it happening. Maybe it is water, lack of it, too much, acorns etc. but it needs to get cold to push birds( ie. mallards) down through the flyways.

Couldn't agree more. We say this year after year and what happens? The season opens and closes earlier each year. :no: I hate having duck season open when early goose is still open.
maineducker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Assuming no zone changes AND the same 'system' in place, these would be the potential NZ start dates for the foreseeable future... As you can see it would potentially rotate around the last week of September with the calendar. (THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL START DATES... JUST THEORETICAL)

2013 - Sep 23
2014 - Sep 29 (December 8th closer)
2015 - Sep 28
2016 - Sep 26
2017 - Sep 25
2018 - Sep 24
2019 - Sep 23
2020 - Sep 28

Migration trends are changing. There is no denying that.

Adding an 'Aroostook Zone' is a neat idea. I do personally believe that they have a distinctly different climate than Central Maine. However, the tricky part of having 4 Zones or more... you cannot have 'splits' under Fed guidelines.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby case » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm

case wrote:
Really wish they would do away with the spilts and move the south and coastal zone starts back 2-4 weeks.

That change would be ridiculous in my book!! You must not like hunting in cold weather??

So to start huting in Nov on the coastal/south would be ridiculous like you said don't se a push till Thanksgiving. You really don't know me cause I'm the one that will be out right up till Feb Hunting Sea ducks. I think open it in Nov and run to mid/ the end of jan no split.
case
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:40 am

case wrote:case wrote:

That change would be ridiculous in my book!! You must not like hunting in cold weather??

So to start huting in Nov on the coastal/south would be ridiculous like you said don't se a push till Thanksgiving. You really don't know me cause I'm the one that will be out right up till Feb Hunting Sea ducks. I think open it in Nov and run to mid/ the end of jan no split.

Im guessing he thought you meant start earlier in the year not later.

I agree I wish they started later in the year, the corn field hunting gets good right as the season is ending!!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 am

Is Early Goose season the same as last year???
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:15 am

K.I. Joe wrote:Is Early Goose season the same as last year???

I'm guessing we'll know for certain either Wed or Thurs of this week KI, but I would think Monday the 2nd things will be off and running.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 1187 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 am

I would rather see longer/multiple splits in the CZ. Really only need the opening week in Oct. Heard a rumor it could go longer into Jan, bummed it apparently is not :no:
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Early goose starts Monday September 2nd
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

733SubDucker wrote:Early goose starts Monday September 2nd

Excellent- I can't wait to hear that first slew of geese skipping along the horizon with radar locked onto the decoys...HEEEERRRRRROOOONNKKKK! :biggrin:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 pm

733SubDucker wrote:Early goose starts Monday September 2nd

Thanks Sub, Cant wait......I wish it would get more press so we know when it starts.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:09 pm

OK now I am all messed up............I want to go NOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! LOL
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Regs will be official after the public hearing on Wednesday
733SubDucker
hunter