Thought I'd say Hello

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Thought I'd say Hello

Postby Fowler » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:39 pm

New to the board and I like what I see so far. I live right on the salt water so that is where I do most of my ducking. I do enjoy some inland puddle hunting during first season though. Have been doing really well on buffleheads and the blacks have just started picking up. The sea ducking has been good all season and I hope to get out again this week. I'm glad to see a board such as this exists for us duck hunters.
Fowler
hunter

Welcome

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:23 am

Fowler,
Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to hear that the blacks have started to pick-up on the coast. Was wondering where this is occurring? I have been hunting in the eastern part of the state and had not yet seen the mallards and blacks hitting the coast in large numbers.

DuckMann
duckmann
hunter

Postby Fowler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:16 am

I've been hunting right in Machiasport mainly. The blacks were thick right after the first season closed, would see huge rafts of them in the coves. They then seamed to vanish when the second season started up. Weather may have had something to do with it. Wasn't really that cold. They have just started showing up again. I haven't seen any mallards at all but I don't usually see that many around here. Usually there are more around Pembroke and Cobscook. Hope to get down there one day this week. Going to be hunting Wed through Sat so I will see what is going on. Going to be mainly sea ducking but may see some blacks and geese when I get down to Cobscook.
Fowler
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:36 am

Welcome aboard Fowler :welcome: Keep on posting up,always good to hear from different ends of the state.We have guys from all over,I believe you are the northern most on the coast so far. :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Greeting Fellow Down Easter

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:47 pm

Fowler,

I know your area fairly well (even visited Ft. OBrien a few times!) as I spent the better part of 10 years living and working in Machias. Glad to see a fellow Down Easter as part of the list.

Never had much luck with the puddle ducks while up in Washington County BUT the sea duck hunting is always incredible. Still visit firends in Jonesport Beals from time to time each season to hunt old squaw and butterballs.

Ever do any jump shooting on the Machias river?

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:04 pm

welcome Fowler....this forum is very good - some intersting folks close to home participate...I'm a bit south of you, but seeing alot of good action too!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:30 pm

I have done some jump shooting by the rim bridge in East Machias along the tressle.

Most of puddle duck hunting I do is in Township 18. I hunt some flowages and irrigation ponds that are surrounded by blueberry fields. Excellent wood duck hunting.

Also have good luck hunting Great Works Flowage in Edmunds. Geese ringnecks and wood ducks are thick down there.
Fowler
hunter

Down East Duckin'

Postby duckmann » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:48 am

I have been wanting to get a wood duck for several years now and have yet to connect. . . will have to plan a trip back to Machias early next season and see if I can't get a woodie.

Had heard rumors that some of the streams on Rt. 182 around Tunk lake are pretty descent for jump shooting but have never got a chance to go.

Any good sea duck hunting around Lubec and Whiting Village? I have scouted that area a long time ago but was never able to find any really good spots to set-up.
duckmann
hunter

Postby Fowler » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:03 pm

I will be heading down to the Edmunds boat ramp Sat and will head up the river to give it a try. We usually do really well. Sea ducks, whislers and sometimes geese. Should see some blacks as well. I'll let you know how it works out but it is usually good gunning.
Fowler
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting