Hunting on Sundays? Why not?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Hunting on Sundays? Why not?

Postby Huntswithashorthair » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 pm

I am sure this has been discussed on this forum before but can anyone tell me why the state prohibits hunting on Sunday? NH & VT have 7 day hunting weeks but we don't. What about turning Monday into the hunting "day of rest" so that we can all hunt both days on the weekend.

Thoughts?
Huntswithashorthair
hunter

Re: Hunting on Sundays? Why not?

Postby Robk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 pm

maine is but one of 11 states that still holds to the old blue laws that prevent certain activities on sundays. most of them have been removed with the exception of stores above a certain footage being open past midnight(walmart), car sales and hunting. two special interest groups are keeping us from joining the rest of the country in maximizing the oportunities. They are the maine guides association and the small woodlots owners association.
Robk
hunter

Postby Huntswithashorthair » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 pm

What would be the benefit for either group to ban hunting on Sundays? Especially the guides! Its one more day for them to make money!!!
Huntswithashorthair
hunter

Postby Robk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm

what few "guides" there are claim it's the only day they can have off... personally I really get a case of the @ss when a few of these so called professionals get to keep me from using the one day I know I have off from doing what I enjoy doing.
Robk
hunter

Postby tgs » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:43 am

Here is what I have been led to believe. Yes, Sunday hunting would be nice, even if just for small game. The Small Woodland Owners Assoc. of Maine (SWOAM) has made it pretty clear that if Sunday hunting were to go through, that as an association, their members would post (their now non-posted) land to reflect no trespassing. The MPGA (Maine Professional Guides Assoc) relies heavily on SWOAM to gain access to otherwise inaccessible land, land that is accessible to both you and I under the current laws. Not so sure that would remain the same if Sunday hunting were passed. If it were a guide wanting a day off thing, they could simply not guide on Sunday. I too have always worked a M-F job so Sunday would double my opportunity of days afield, so I have always wanted to see it happen, just not so sure it ever will, especially in southern maine, perhaps someday up north where the land is owned primarily by paper companies and not small land owners.

Again, not stirring a sensitive pot, but this is what I have been led to believe, as a hunter, guide and also small woodland owner in so.maine.

Good luck this season.

Troy
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Not to go against the grain here, but i personally enjoy not being able to hunt on Sunday, it would be cool to have that extra day, but i believe it gives a bit of a break, not much, but just a little. I also live next to a heavily hunted property, and i enjoy being able to walk my dog, with some confidence my yellow lab wont get shot. I enjoy it as a rest day, just my personal belief, but i do like no hunting on Sunday
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:20 am

I have to wonder how many acres would be impacted by the members of the small woodlot owners asso. I personally don't like being held against a wall and would allow hunting on Sundays just because of the threat that they stated.

I also believe that Sam had tried to allow Sunday hunting on land you own and that failed too. That just does not pass the smell test.

I dont believe that a small group of people (Guides or SWOAM) should control what the state does. that decision should be based on science and not on how a group "feels' about hunting.

If Sunday hunting caused the posting of 10,000 acres of land would the expanded opportunity and the resulting economic impact be worth the loss. We lost more land to Quimby in the past few years than that.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:12 am

The endless argument! :hammer: Rehashed year after year!! a broken record! It just isn't going to happen especially with population shrinking in the rural areas and more and more democrats infesting southern Maine. And fewer hunters buying licenses every year. Sad but true!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby 682x » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:26 am

Sunday is a day for the skeet gods!!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:09 am

One huge piece of the puzzle you all missed is NMW. They are opposed to Sunday hunting and that's MILLIONS of acres. Which answers the question of how much land would we lose to the small wood lot owners, they are a united front at many of the MPGA meetings I have attended. Also Maine trail riders association, MSA, campground owners association, Maine potato growers, as well as Wyman blueberry farm, who controls tens of thousands of acres. Its crazy how the guides gets the bulk of the 'blame'.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 am

From what I hear, Sunday hunting in Maine would basically mark the beginning of the apocalypse, the four horseman will ride down I-95, and the "the way life should be" will end as we know it...

...so no, Sunday hunting is not going to happen here in Maine. :lol3: :hammer: :fingerhead:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:26 pm

flylineguide wrote:One huge piece of the puzzle you all missed is NMW. They are opposed to Sunday hunting and that's MILLIONS of acres. Which answers the question of how much land would we lose to the small wood lot owners, they are a united front at many of the MPGA meetings I have attended. Also Maine trail riders association, MSA, campground owners association, Maine potato growers, as well as Wyman blueberry farm, who controls tens of thousands of acres. Its crazy how the guides gets the bulk of the 'blame'.

Never heard that NMW opposes Sunday hunting and I cant see why they would, it would mean more dollars in their pocket. As for the MSA I know for a fact that they oppose because SWOAM opposes and they are worried about losing that land. Dont know about the others but would love to have the source for this information so I can find out for myself.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:33 am

NMW is a non profit! They are a organization of landowners be it individual or corporate. There also is several state agencies which are very controlling in NMW. Lots of people actually think, what I am assuming you thought, that NMW is only there to control access. Controlling access is only a part of what they do.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby native brookie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am

I don't mind the break on Sunday. With Sunday hunting, I'd probably hunt fewer weekend days, as there wouldn't be many weekends I could afford to hunt both days given chores around the house and other things that happen on weekends.

And don't forget our season would get shorter. To compensate for the extra days of legal hunting, we'd need to open later, close earlier, or have a longer closed season for the split.
native brookie
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

native brookie wrote:
And don't forget our season would get shorter. To compensate for the extra days of legal hunting, we'd need to open later, close earlier, or have a longer closed season for the split.

This is exactly why I oppose 7 days a week hunting. I support one day a week off I don't care what day it is.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby Robk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:55 pm

I'd give up one week of hunting to have more sundays. It's the only day I know I have off everyweek and I have to work every saturday so that leaves me next to no time with the kids in school to take them out. I've hunted parts of the country that do allow 7 days a week of hunting and the hunting wasn't any better. Don't knock it til you've tried it. our sport is dying due to piss poor retention. we should be maximizing the oportunity to be in the field. My wife can give me all the honey do's she wants the other 305 days a year and she knows it.
Robk
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:11 pm

flylineguide wrote:NMW is a non profit! They are a organization of landowners be it individual or corporate. There also is several state agencies which are very controlling in NMW. Lots of people actually think, what I am assuming you thought, that NMW is only there to control access. Controlling access is only a part of what they do.

Do you have the source stating that they are against Sunday hunting.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:47 am

Robk wrote:what few "guides" there are claim it's the only day they can have off... personally I really get a case of the @ss when a few of these so called professionals get to keep me from using the one day I know I have off from doing what I enjoy doing.

That one doesn't even make sense??????????? Why would the guides want a day off especially in the middle of hunting season??? You need to make your money when it's there to be had..... There are plenty of days off available in Feb and March!! The toll booths aren't exactly clogged with sports looking to employ the thousands of Maine Guides then!

The really good guides I know will work 7 days a week if they can get it!! There's something to be said for someone who will spend Easter morning away from his family to show a sport a good time catching steelhead in the freezing cold rain!!!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

Seaductor wrote:
That one doesn't even make sense??????????? Why would the guides want a day off especially in the middle of hunting season??? You need to make your money when it's there to be had..... There are plenty of days off available in Feb and March!! The toll booths aren't exactly clogged with sports looking to employ the thousands of Maine Guides then!

I'm not a guide, so I don't know, but if I guided full time for waterfowl, I'd need at least 1 day per week to deal with gear maintenance. And I'd get the same number of hunting days with a Sunday closure--I'd just have them spread out over a longer period.

I'm sure most of them would prefer to have a weekday off instead of a weekend when more clients may be around . . . . . .
native brookie
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 pm

I could care less if they closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Just give us working stiffs two days a week to hunt.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm

There are to many "non-hunters" in Maine for this to ever pass and most of them have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to hunting. If you ask any non hunter when hunting season is they say November. I have to explain to them that is deer season but it blows their mind when they find out there is a hunting season every day of the year except Sunday. In my personal opinion it's not the hunters we need to watch out for, its the poachers. They are the ones that make shady decisions and shoot first and ask questions later. I have passed on shots on deer because I didn't have a good shot and I do it all the time on ducks (no need to educate them) but it's the people that shoot at the moving bush that give hunters a bad name. The only way this would ever pass is if there was a way to convince non hunters they would be just as safe hiking on Sunday and that the state would make more revenue to fund programs to help stop people hunting illegally or do more wildlife restoration. When people vote on something they think "What is the benefit" and to all the non hunters it looks like they are loosing a day but if you can convince them they are gaining 6 more safe days a week to be outside and saving the environment it's an easier sale. That's my 2 cent rant hahah.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting