Wheres the hunters?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Wheres the hunters?

Postby NJDUCKER86 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Ive been relocated here in Maine since last December and with the exception of the DU dinner in portland i have yet to see any duck hunters... I realize its not hunting season but Im from south jersey and there are DU stickers on tons of trucks, duck boats everywhere, and up here i just dont see it. When i take my boat out people look at me weird (18' camo jon)... i dunno just a rant :tongue:
NJDUCKER86
hunter

Re: Wheres the hunters?

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Maybe its not the boat... :tongue:

Relax and enjoy the relatively low waterfowl hunter numbers. Welcome to Maine.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Well, the nice thing is, there are a whole lot less people, period. That means fewer Cabela's and DU bumper stickers, but it also means you can hunt with a lot less pressure.

I was exiled to Jersey for three years. I tried hunting once, and quickly gave it up because of the crowds. I like it here better.

If you want to hunt with a lot of other folks, try Merrymeeting Bay on the first Saturday of the season.

You'll see a lot more duck boats as the season approaches.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I can't imagine ranting over a lack of competition!! :(

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 am

We try to blend in. A truck parked along side a little creek randomly threw out the summer covered in DU stickers!? Dead give away. Better go see what's got him stiff.

Just playing, you'll notice them more when season comes, my truck has the benchmark sticker, DU, bone collector and where my 4x4 sticker use to be is a camo duck locked, landing gear down. Trucks lifted too, I think it helps the clam diggers and fisherman identify me better. Wouldnt want my 35 inch tires get spiked cus they think I'm new in town
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby MaineHunter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:47 am

What part of Maine did you get relocated to?
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby NJDUCKER86 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:08 pm

im in south portland... and im not ranting about a lack of competition just a lack of knowledge really. I mean when i launch my boat and get asked if im going gator hunting or why is it camo its just different.
NJDUCKER86
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Where have you been launching?

I can tell you that come duck season, a camoed boat launched at Pine Point or up at the new all tide launch in Brunswick won't raise any eyebrows. You'll have plenty of competition at either one.

If you're launching into Portland Harbor . . . . . that may be a little different. And don't hunt there come the fall, as Portland has a no firearms discharge law, and I am told it is enforced even on the ocean within city limits.

I don't know what's good to hunt down your way in the early season when the ducks are still on freshwater, but you're close to an awful lot of salt marsh that holds plenty of ducks from Thanksgiving on. Get a Rachel Carson Refuge Permit if you hunt from Scarborough south, though you don't need it to hunt Scarborough Marsh, which is state owned.
native brookie
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 am

Your not far from me in SoPo. I rarely ever see any noticeable duck hunters in the off season.
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby Robk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am

I'm up around MDI and there are even fewer Duck Killers up here. Good for me anyhow. Bet I haven't seen 4 hunters on the lake with me in the past 2 seasons. Welcome to join me up this way.
Robk
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

I get the same look.... But everywhere, i guess when u deck ur subaru out with duck stickers and an IH sticker, and use ur 16ft camo deep v to catch stripers with, ur considered "weird". But hey! I just smile and wave as im pullin 40" stripers out in front of them!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby 682x » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 am

If your leaving in SOPO your way out numbered also by the libs. I'm working on the new HS project. I travel down every day its fine until I'm south of Thompson. Then you see all the funny bumpa sticka's. Go shoot some sporting at Scarborough fish & game.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby lames33 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:41 pm

You should go to the Saco Bay chapter banquet dinner. It should be fun.

Jared
lames33
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:26 am

all tide launch in bunswick!? I live in bwick. are you talking about simpsons point?
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting