Central Maine -New guy

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Central Maine -New guy

Postby kpgunner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:55 pm

Hi duckhunters,
I'm new to the board, been a avid duck hunter for a few years now and
haven't had a lot of success to this point. But that will never stop me..
I'm going hunting saturday with friends and would love to have some fast action for a change.. I am not fussy about where I hunt or what type of duck (as long as they're not mergansers that is)..
I have only a canoe to work with, anyone have any sugestions??
kpgunner
hunter

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:01 pm

KPGunner,

Welcome to the post! Glad to have you aboard. I also live in Augusta and can tell you that there is some good gunning around if you know where to find it. However, with that said your options are quickly running short as this latest round of COLD has frozen most of the really good spots solid. I am heading to the coast this weekend to sea duck hunt as the ice has made most of the ducky spots unaccessible.

Open areas that you may want to try would include most of the Kennebec river. Try the boat launch in Sidney off the west river rd (Gaz map 13). And set-up directly across on the other side (this will keep the morning sun out of your eyes!) Just be cautious of the current and make sure not to go alone if you can at all help it.

Also, jump shooting in the canoe maybe an option on some of the smaller streams but they may be quickly closing in. . .

Where were you hunting that you were not seeing birds? Just curious?

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby kpgunner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:06 pm

Hi duckmann,
I can't say I've had no success, We have shot a few ducks on just about every trip this year, Just haven't got into any fast action.

I've hunted Cobbossee Stream a few times and have shot a few wood ducks, mallards and blacks early in the season. Had slightly better success on the Eastern river and I've shot a few buffle heads and old squaw in the lower sheepscot river.

I have liked what I've seen in the Eastern river the few times I've hunted there, I think it's just a matter of getting the right spot and setup.
kpgunner
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting