2013 Maine Waterfowl Regs Meeting

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

2013 Maine Waterfowl Regs Meeting

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Wednesday at 6:30pm at the Augusta Armory room 209B.

View the waterfowl status report and regulation proposals.

I will not be there. Best of luck!
733SubDucker
hunter

Re: 2013 Maine Waterfowl Regs Meeting

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 pm

ttt
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby sprig » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:32 am

Good time to have your voice heard. Interesting to hear biologist talk their stuff. See all the other duck nerds!!!!!!
sprig
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 am

Took it in. No surprises other than the falcon hunters turnout!! They are a vocal minority and almost outnumbered the gun hunters that attended!!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby RedDog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:55 am

Seaductor wrote:No surprises other than the falcon hunters turnout!!

What is the bag limit on falcons this year? :biggrin:

They sure were all pissy about gun hunters using "their" salt marshes in January. I'm sure it does make it more difficult for the falconers (all 6 of them in Maine), but it's quite a stretch to say that the extended coastal zone dates are decimating the black duck population. :rolleyes: It was nice that Kelsey had the January 2012 aerial count numbers to rebuff that claim...
RedDog
hunter

Postby sprig » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 am

It is all about opportunity to get the birds. I think the anecdotal evidence they were talking about was just that, I do not see it and I told them. I have hard facts and numbers, I hunt many days and keep journals for my own information. Rubbed me the wrong way, went home and had some good beers and felt better!!

Happy hunting to all.

Sprig
sprig
hunter

Postby Robk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 am

decimated black duck numbers? if anything I'd like to see them at least double the take for them in my area. Blacks outnumber the mallards 3-4 to 1 even at the peak of the migration and much higher the rest of the season. and with the numbers of hyrbids showing up you nearly have to water swat them in the dekes to be truly sure that it's not a pure bred black duck
Robk
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:43 pm

RedDog wrote:
Seaductor wrote:No surprises other than the falcon hunters turnout!!

What is the bag limit on falcons this year? :biggrin:

They sure were all pissy about gun hunters using "their" salt marshes in January. I'm sure it does make it more difficult for the falconers (all 6 of them in Maine), but it's quite a stretch to say that the extended coastal zone dates are decimating the black duck population. :rolleyes: It was nice that Kelsey had the January 2012 aerial count numbers to rebuff that claim...

Actually there are something like 15 licensed falconners in Maine!! We had 5 or a 1/3 of them in the meeting last night!!!! If we had 1/3 of the gun hunters turn out, we'd need the Civic Center Main hall to fit them all in!!

I'd hate to see the state's Rail Hunters organize!! That would double the attendance of the falconners!

I find falconry is pretty cool, but I think it's practitioners may consider themselves a pretty elite group. They are still a minority!!
Any data produced by a dozen or so people based on personal records can hardly be considered as the definitive chit!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

RedDog wrote:It was nice that Kelsey had the January 2012 aerial count numbers to rebuff that claim...

We're blessed to have Kelsey on our waterfowl team here in Maine- he's a sharp cookie and I've always found him very personable. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it last night, but did catch up with him a bit yesterday morning on the phone.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby UplandGunner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Does anyone know when opening Early Goose Season starts? I have heard both Sept 2 and Sept 4th ? Also When does Duck Season -North start. Is it Sept 23rd? or 26th ? Thanks
UplandGunner
hunter

Postby native brookie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Did anyone run into crowds of gun hunters in January last year? I think I hunted three times after Christmas, all in places where I normally expect company in December, and ran into just one other party.

Tell the falconers they have the salt marshes WEST of Route 1 all to themselves--and I'm still bitter. :lol3:
native brookie
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting