Looks like it's Harpwell this weekend.

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Looks like it's Harpwell this weekend.

Postby kpgunner » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Drove past the Eastern river this morning, looks pretty frozen up the few open portions I could see had large rafts of mergansers in them.
Looks like skybuster and I will be trying a new spot this weekend in Harpswell.. We'll keep you all posted how it goes..
kpgunner
hunter

Postby kpgunner » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:47 pm

Tried out a new spot this weekend in Harpswell, we saw hundreds of ducks
and geese but nothing in shooting range.
We were getting a bit desperate at about noon time so we tried to fashion a layout boat out of my canoe some camouflage burlap and about 200 pounds of seaweed. Nothing to lose I figured. We paddled out the the middle of the bay thinking a few buffle heads might fly over us. Was I ever wrong, The few ducks that were flying around would have nothing to do with our ugly contraption... LOL..

After putting up with that as long as we could we went back and setup in front of the decoys for the afternoon..
As it turned out we each ended up with a black duck.. Another slow day of shooting but still better than a day sitting in front of the t.v.
kpgunner
hunter

Harpswell

Postby duckmann » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:29 pm

KPG,

Was thinking about trying some hunting down around Harpswell this weekend and noticed that you said you had hunted in that area before. Can you tell me where you launched your canoe? How were the tide and waves at that location?

Thanks,

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby kpgunner » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:17 pm

Hey duckmann,
Good luck this weekend.
The place I put in was at a friends cabin, I have permission, but I'm not sure he would be ok with people he doesn't know using it. There are a few public launches in Harpswell sound not far from the spot we put in.

We hunted in one of the coves in the sound and while we saw a lot of ducks the only sea ducks we saw were about a half dozen old squaw off in the distance. The sound is very protected and seldom has rough water.. I'm not sure it's the best place to hunt sea ducks except when the surf gets too rough to hunt anywhere else.

I hope I helped you...
"Crazy vegetarians"
If we weren't meant to eat ducks,
why did God make them out of meat??
kpgunner
hunter

Harpswell

Postby duckmann » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:08 pm

Thanks for the update!

No, no I wouldn't expect to launch off your firends lawn! :) We will try one of the boat launches in the area, there are about two dozen!! I have some idea of where I would like to locate so we will take a shot at one of those locations. I hope the weather holds for one more day. . . man have we had some GREAT weather!
duckmann
hunter

Postby kpgunner » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi Duckmann,
How'd you do this weekend?? At least you had some mild weather.
"Crazy vegetarians"
kpgunner
hunter

Harpswell

Postby duckmann » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:53 am

KP,

We decided on Look Out Point (boat launch) and hunted off the nearby islands. Morning started right with light winds BUT by shooting time waves had approached 2-3 feet (not good in a 12 foot row boat!!) We were able to take two OLD SQUAW by about 1/2 hour after legal and decided we better get going before things got worse!

Getting the decoys was a SHOW. . . but we managed to get everything back to shore with nobody getting wet. Took me 1/2 hr. to straighten the decoy lines! Tons of ducks were buzzing the island while we packed up. On a calm day this would be a great spot!

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby kpgunner » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi Duckmann,

Sounds a lot like and adventure I had on the Sheepscot River last year it
took about 3 1/2 hours to get back to my car after hunting till noon.. (About a 1/2 mile trip). I learned a leason on that trip. I will have a deep hull 14 foot fiberglass boat with a 28 hp outboard next year... I think that will be a big improvement over my canoe in big water..

Looking forward to hitting the coast hard next year.. :salude:
"Crazy vegetarians"
kpgunner
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting