Early Goose

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Early Goose

Postby bkmaine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm

I picked up 7 goose floaters and a goose call this winter and would like to get a few days in before ducks. This is my 3rd season duck hunting. I would love a lesson from someone on early goose season and the migration patterns for waterfowl in Maine in general, would love a lesson in the field or over a beer or cup of coffee from one of you more experienced Mainers. I'm a teacher in Gorham. PM me if you'd like to hit me with some knowledge
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Re: Early Goose

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Don't get frustrated if you can't reliably pattern the geese for at least the first couple weeks of season. Sometimes they show up like clockwork and sometimes they change for no reason. As the season progresses, they will become more predictable.
733SubDucker
hunter

Re: Early Goose

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 pm

I ran into your problem a few years ago being brand new to geese, i found that its very hard early season, i did what you did, picked up some goose floaters, and had one or two good days early season on the lake. Just scouting i found is key, also it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up some field decoys, like a dozen or so sillosocks (krugerfarms has some good deals on them!) and spots along the coast in the marshes always seem to hold geese too
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting