Where are the geese?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Where are the geese?

Postby Huntswithashorthair » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:57 am

It seems my opening day spots are cold right now. Geese aren't on the same patterns as they were last year at this time, which has me scrambling to get into a flock on opening day.

Are any of you dealing with the same issue? If so, any reason why we're seeing this? I know some of the farmers plan to cut their corn a little later this year due to the wet summer (or at least that is what I am being told).

7 days and counting...
Huntswithashorthair
hunter

Re: Where are the geese?

Postby native brookie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:12 am

I took a boat ride last night on a relatively popular early season lake and didn't see a single goose. Lots of loons and shags, though.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 am

It's a mystery?? I've got eyeballs on a few, unfortunately the 150 or so birds I saw when I was scouting yesterday were on a nature preserve!! A lot of my regular haunts are birdless so far. They seem to do a pattern change this time of year as the young birds have gotten to be more seasoned fliers.
The other thing that could be happening is that hunting pressure may be working as population control. I still think there aren't as many guys chasing them.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby RedDog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 am

That's early goose season. I don't think I've ever hunted the same place twice on the first day of the early season.
RedDog
hunter

Postby maineducker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:54 am

3 of my spots are holding good numbers right now. Won't know which one we hit on the opener until probably Sunday. They can be tough to pattern right now. There one day, gone the next. Fortunately the get more predictable as Sept. wears on. All in all, it's looking promising so far!
maineducker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:25 pm

maineducker wrote:3 of my spots are holding good numbers right now. Won't know which one we hit on the opener until probably Sunday. They can be tough to pattern right now. There one day, gone the next. Fortunately the get more predictable as Sept. wears on. All in all, it's looking promising so far!

Maineducker,
Would you mind if we all came over and hunted with you? :lol3:
Truth be told, I'm scrambling a bit myself. I haven't found what I'm looking for yet, but have learned to relax and have faith. This weekend, the odometer on my FJ will do some serious flipping...the good thing is that I absolutely love to drive around and scout- almost as much as the hunt itself. Just like every other year, we'll be excitedly waiting for that first honk over the horizon Monday morning. :grooving:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Saw 40 or so the other day. Total of about 60 in one spot tonight. Not bad. Can't wait!
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby mudxxed » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Im in the same boat as you brother. Opens sunday here, be scouting tomorrow, fri and sat!
mudxxed
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Im only seeing them hangin out on people's lawns all day next to or near a lake, so im thinking about just taking a nice lawn chair, put the ol' semi under it, and pretend to be sun bathing! Seems to be the best camo/blind/setup for them!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Robk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 pm

spent 6 hours burning gas and glassing last weekend only to find two flocks near my house that are holding. not many birds around this year like there was last season as far as I can tell around here.
Robk
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Schedule changed now I have to work on the opener! :mad: Heavy scouting all morning the next few days.
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Saw one group of geese today in a farm pond next to the tar. Going to have to do some back water paddling and jump shoot I think.
ic3breaker
hunter

Postby Smokum870 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Found two fields tonite and got shot down on one. Left a note on the owners door of the second. Really scrambling right now to find something to hunt on the opener. The three fields I have locked down had birds last week and none at all this week so far. This season seems to be a lot harder than last year as far as bird numbers go.
Duck Count:
Geese-2
Blacks-6
Mallards-5
Teal-12
Woodies-2
Scaup-3
Ringnecks-6
Smokum870
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:21 pm

The geese are there. Their numbers are good.

They are just in wacky places and completely unpredictable. Don't freak out if you can't find them right now.

Personally, my top four spots are empty but could show geese any time, and the geese at spot 5 may leave any day.

Relax and Hunt On :wink:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Spent the morning slogging through old goose poop! That's where they had been but not now!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby maineducker » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:32 pm

[quote="Seaductor"]Spent the morning slogging through old goose poop! That's where they had been but not now!

Ha! We watched our flock of 60 fly in this morning. POURED, and looks wet Monday. Hope everyone has a good hunt! :beer:
maineducker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting