Gun barrel scarring?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Gun barrel scarring?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

Hey guys, just went and shot a box of clays, (did remarkably terrible!) and as always, I clean my gun after I shoot. I probably don't do it as good as experts by breaking down my entire gun! But I always take off the barrel (I have a 12g Remington 1100 semi), fore stock, brush down, wipe down, use a tiny bit of hoppes 9 and clean the piston, inside the action and everything I can get, followed by a little bit of rem oil, no problems there. The issue is, when I clean the barrel, I run my bore snake thru it with hoppes 9 on it, 4-10 times until it looks clean on the inside. But I always seem to never get out what looks like scars on the inside, it doesn't look a lot like rust, I ran just the regular wire brush thru it over and over and it doesn't seem to do anything. Any info, or input?
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Gun barrel scarring?

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:55 am

It may be plastic residue or powder fouling. I would use a real bore cleaner that dissolves those.

If you have a synthetic or camo gun, always be careful. Some cleaners are fine for blued barrels but can damage the coating and finish on others.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Alrighty. I'll check out what they got at cabelas. It at the beginning of the barrel so it would make sense that that is the first point of contact for the wad, thank tho!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 pm

If I have a lot of residue, I'll swab it with a big patch wet with bore solvent and let sit for a minute then hit it with the brush. You may have to work on it a bit.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Ill definetly do that, and pick up a new ram rod while im at it..... I always lose pieces to those stupid things, got about 4 sets with atleast one piece missing! Thats why i bought the bore snake
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby 682x » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:32 pm

As some may know I shoot thousands of rounds all year , as theres a few of us on here. I have yet to find a chemical that will dissolve wadding.The wadding is worn into the part of the barrel called the forcing cone. I use a one piece rod in my power drill with a brush on it to remove wading. As the brush wears I'll put 3m scotch pad material on the brush ( I'm cheap ok). give that a try . I would be removing that 1100 bolt assy. and clean that too.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Were you shooting steel shot? I have found that the steel shot wads I reload with tend to be a little denser. Probably so the steel doesn't push through and scar the barrel but it does tend to leave streaks. I brush it down with some oil on the brush then run the pads through it.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby 682x » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Cliff is that you? I'll sell you some steel components CHEAP!!!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 pm

My names Jon but I'm always looking for steel reloading components haha
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:22 pm

I just started to notice it more now, after i ran a couple hundred skeet loads out of it. But i always cleaned in between trips to the pit,
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Just went to Wally World, and picked up my weekly box of clays and ammo, and some rem note cleaner that claims it cleans off the wad residue, and after over a good hour, maybe two, of running the wet patch, let it sit for a few minutes, tried brushing the hell out of it! Then I ran the snake thru it 5 or 6 times, did that cycle twice, then after brushing, I ran patches thru it until it was dry, went thru a box of patches, and still, nothing! I am just starting to accept it being there, it's an older gun, and sat in the case for a while. But not let me tell you, I have never seen the other parting that barrel shine like a new copper penny! God was she beautiful, now it's time to pump another two boxes thru her tomorrow!
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting