Morning before Christmas

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Morning before Christmas

Postby Dogman » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:16 pm

My lab and I got out to the marsh and set up 8 dekes on a creek.The tide was rising and we did see decent numbers of birds but I had trouble getting them to commit to the decoy spread.Each flock would come check out the blocks but they always pulled back at the last minute!
So I buried myself deep in the brush and weeds and sure enough the next bunch of ducks comes in good,but I botched the closest bird-twice!
Next, we ditch the decoys and jump shoot the creeks now that the tide is going down.Came upon a lone Black in good range but again I missed-twice!! :pissed:
Well on the way back to my original spot we put up a nice fat black duck out of a tiny crack in the marsh not much wider than a shoe box in size and this time I didn't miss!!!So the day wasn't a skunk trip and Solo had himself a bird to fetch(makes for a happy retriever :smile: )
Hope you guys have a good holiday!
Last edited by Dogman on Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby redleg hunter » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:38 am

went out xmas eve morning, birds moved slow but i did manage to limit and get home in time for xmas eve dinner. awful warm out there for dec. 24
redleg hunter
hunter

Am I firing BLANKS!

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:17 am

Dogman,

Glad to see I am not the only one that will "occasionally" miss that GREAT chance at a shot! I swear that sometime I think my brother replaced my steel loads with BLANKS!

Good to hear that Solo finally got a chance to retrieve. . . that makes for a happy puppy!

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting